Wednesday, January 27, 2016

How to Organize Oversized Construction Paper

Hey friends,
I am reposting this post from a couple years ago because I was just ordering one of these as a surprise for a teacher I am consulting with and noticed it was on sale at a great price. Aside from the world's most amazing pencil sharpener that I would marry if I could because it is that awesome (you can read the blog post where I professed my love for it here: pencil sharpener love), this oversized paper sorter ROCKED MY WORLD and put an end to yeard of struggle figuring out how to best store the large pieces of construction paper. Go grab one now! You won't be sorry!

original post

As you may have guessed, I'm kind of into classroom organization.

I like everything to have a place (and a label) and have developed some systems for organizing a classroom that I'm really happy with.

However, for years those 12 x 18 sheets of construction paper were my Kryptonite. A solution for keeping them neat and organized eluded me. The best I came up with was to store them in an empty desk. This worked to a point, but since the colors were all stacked I constantly found myself digging for them.

Finally, I decided enough was enough and that it was time to invest in something designed to do the job. Enter the Oversized Paper Sorter. At a cost of $27.50, I have found the purchase to be well worth the money. Mainly because the big sheets of paper, and their lack of a proper home in my classroom, annoyed me for so long, but also because it has proven to be a quality product (despite being made out of cardboard).

I ordered the product on a Thursday and it was waiting for me when I walked into my classroom the following Monday (via free shipping). I assumed it would be a hassle to assemble, but it went together easily in under 8 minutes. A few folds and a couple slides later it was done. It required nothing more. No tools. No adhesives. No cutting. Nothing! It was so quick and easy,

I was amazed at how sturdy it felt. I've been using it for a few months now and continue to be thrilled the product. As an added bonus, the entire unit slid onto a shelf in my closet so it is out of sight. I should mention that this is not a paid/sponsored post...just a product I bought and love and wanted to pass along.

By the way, if you are not already subscribed to The Clutter-Free Classroom newsletter I encourage you sign up. Subscribers receive weekly tips for organizing and managing a classroom as well as exclusive free printables. You can sign up here.