Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Quick & Effective Way to Check Math Proficiency {3rd grade, Common Core, Report Cards, End-of-Year Review}


Throughout the year I used my Common Core Math Assessments Packet to track data on my students’ progress towards proficiency with each standard. However, as the end of the year rolled around and state testing was penciled in on my calendar, I wanted to make sure I was able to target my friends in guided math groups during our math workshop that may need extra support. I also wanted to have recent documentation for report cards of the students who were proficient in the skills.

     It was important (and truly necessary) to me that the process be accurate and efficient since there were lots of standards to check and I wanted to be able to make the most of the final weeks of school in regards to small group instruction. It was for that reason that I developed the Common Core Math Quick Assessments. I’ve been very happy with them in my own class.

{Click to Access and Download}
I printed the entire packet and because there are 5 student sheets on each page, I only needed to make 4 copies of each. I opted to copy each domain onto a different color paper to increase organization, but it’s not necessary.

The next step was to simply cut them into strips. Again this was an extremely quick task. I put all 5 copies of each assessment together in a pile and was able to cut them very fast using a cutting board. I used a paper clip 
to hold each set together.   

Finally, I wrote my students names onto the scoring sheet and gathered a red, green and yellow marker. That’s it! I was able to print, copy, cut, and gather everything I needed in under 15 minutes. I love easy prep work!

You could administer the assessments to the entire class at once. I opted to give them in small groups so I could watch them work and analyze misconceptions. I took notes while they completed them.  Each assessment contains only 3 problems so we were able to do several of them in one sitting. 

After the entire class had taken an assessment I did a quick sort.  Basically what this means is that I would look at each paper to check the accuracy and sorted them into 2 piles as I did: a 100% correct pile and a 1 or more wrong pile.

I then took the pile that was 100% correct, put a "check plus" onto the paper and used a green marker to record a check on the class score sheet. Next, I went through the papers that had errors and circled the mistakes. If a child had one wrong I recorded a yellow check on the scoresheet. If a child had 2 or 3 wrong I put a red check on the scoresheet. 


This “stoplight” method of recording allowed me to see at a glance both how each student performed as well as the overall understanding of the class on each standard.  I used the results to determine if there were any standards that I should review in a whole class mini-lesson format or through small group instruction.  


Also be sure to check out all of my 3rd Grade Common Core Math Companion Products that are available individually or in the cost-saving bundle shown below.





 





By the way, if you are not already subscribed to The Clutter-Free Classroom newsletter I encourage you sign up. Subscribers receive weekly tips for organizing and managing a classroom as well as exclusive free printables. You can sign up here.