Friday, January 3, 2014

Classroom Storage Containers {Frugal & Upcycled Options}


Yesterday I shared some ideas for finding storage space in your classroom that you may have overlooked. Today I am going to share some tips, ideas and strategies for selecting and creating storage containers that will help you get organized. Best of all, most of them are free or really cheap. The key is to personalize them to match your space to create a uniform and cohesive look.

The three containers that I "upcycled" above include {left to right}: a Stonyfield Yogurt Container covered with black duct tape and blue wash tape, a Pringles can covered with wrapping paper and a bread crumbs container decorated with scrapbook paper.



Crystal Lite containers are perfect for holding smaller items. They are sturdy and have a lid. The label peels off extremely easily and you are then left with a clear container. 

Pringles cans are tall and also come with a lid which is great for games or holding things inside.

Baby wipes and antibacterial wipes both come in a variety of different containers made of hard plastics. They can often be stacked and are good options for housing a variety of small manipulatives or art supplies.



All of the above can be “upcycled” by spray painting, Modge Podging, covering in decorative paper or even just decorating them with duct tape or Washi tape to match your classroom. I’ve always had great luck obtaining lots of them simply by putting the word out to students’ families and colleagues.

Copy paper boxes are a great choice because they are easy to obtain, are sturdy, and are congruent which makes them easy to stack. The downside is that in their natural state they are ugly and can add visual clutter to your classroom. A simple solution is to cover them in contact paper or fabric to make them not only uniform, but also allow them to match your classroom decor.

Plastic shoeboxes are commonly found in classrooms. They are a great choice, but a cheaper alternative would be the food storage containers that are marketed as disposable. They typically come in packs of 4-6 and work great in the classroom. Spray painting the covers and adding labels dresses them up nicely and creates a custom look.

Don't you just love the look of the spray painted cans below? Just be careful to select cans that don't have sharp edges at the top.



Ziploc Bags are outstanding for containerizing within a container. I love them because they come in so many sizes and you can add labels or write directly on the bag.

The Dollar Store and the Dollar Spot at Target offer so many different containers. It’s easy to find something that will be perfect for the space you are working with. Be cautious about mixing and matching too many sizes and colors. Using containers that are the same size, shape and color will present a much more organized appearance.




Be sure to “think outside the box” when it comes to storage. I have a collection of small trash cans that I bought for only $1.00 each that are perfect for storing my pattern blocks, multilink cubes, and other math manipulatives that kids grab by the handful to use. They fit perfectly onto one of my storage shelves and the open top works well in this situation.

Although a bit pricier, my favorite way to store classroom items is in plastic drawers. They provide vertical storage and are easy to move around as needed. I’m especially fond of the drawers that slide out all the way. They are really worth the initial investment.




For larger items such as seasonal items and thematic units, you may wish to consider the bigger bins and tubs. Rubbermaid makes a neat option that opens in the front as well as the top so the contents are easy to access even when they are stacked.

Do you have a favorite storage container that you use in the classroom?

{via: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12


 



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.


6 comments:

  1. Great ideas for storage! Baby muchy jars are another great option! I have several saved that I need make cute for my classroom!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rissa! When my twins were little I had more baby product packaging than I knew what to do with. You could easily fill a classroom with up cycled wipe and baby food containers along with diaper boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just started following your blog last week and you have inspired me to declutter my classroom. I spent 3 hours yesterday reorganizing, rearranging, and repurposing my classroom and it's so much better. Love your ideas for containers in this post. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nellie and welcome! I love that the blog played a role in your classroom organization. Thanks for reading! :) Jodi

      Delete
  4. I love these ideas! One goal I have for 2014 is to unify my teaching space! Thanks for the great ideas!
    Cassie
    Create-abilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie,
      Sounds like a great goal! Happy 2014! :) Jodi

      Delete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...