Monday, November 11, 2013

Writing Made Easy for November {Common Core Writing grades 2-5}

Click to Access and Download this Resource



Last month I created a packet of October-Themed prompts for my 3rd graders.  I wanted to capitalize on the excitement and motivation that month brings to get them working towards those Common Core Writing Goals. I expected them to be interested in the prompts, but I was not at all prepared for just how much they would enjoy them.

I used the cards to model some skills during mini-lessons before setting them free to pick their own prompts from the collection. It was not my intent to build anticipation, but they were so anxious to get their little paws on those cards. 

At last the time came for them to all pick their own prompts from the lists/cards and...oh. my. goodness!! 

There was hooting and hollering and whooping and cheering. 

You guys....their feet literally left the ground because they were jumping up and down with excitement.

Seriously? 

The excitement continued throughout the month. They were not happy to hear that I was retiring them after 10.31 and some even asked to take them home with extra paper.

I assumed it was the "Halloween factor" and cautiously asked, "Are y'all just excited about writing about Halloween or would you be interested in other prompt cards too?"

They assured me that they just really loved having choices about what to write about and especially loved the creative writing options and would like them for every month of the year.

Skeptical that they would be as jazzed about turkeys as they were about jack o'lanterns and witches I spent the better part of a Sunday trying to duplicate the magic of the cards by creating a November packet of prompts, packets and thematic paper.

I sent them off to Staples to be printed. 

I laminated. 

I cut. 

I prepared myself to be disappointed.

Instead I was greeted by a group of eager little writers on November 1st asking if "the new cards were ready."

Why yes they were.
{Click to Access and Download this Resource}


They've continued to be excited about writing and I'm very much enjoying conferencing with them and reading their work. It's made me realize how important it is to give them choices whenever possible.

We still do planned projects. We just wrapped up our Pilgrim and Wampanoag Portfolios and will soon start the annual "How to Cook a Turkey" class book writing project, however, these cards have been the perfect filler for students who are done with their work and need something productive to do.

Oh...and I am head over heels in love with the new product I just made to showcase the writing they've been doing. More on that in the next day or two. :)


ABOUT THIS PRODUCT:
This packet contains over 50 printable pages that will motivate your students to explore all types of writing. It is completely aligned with the Common Core and covers all writing standards for grades 2-5. 




Your students will love selecting from the prompts on the task cards or poster display to write opinion, narrative, informative and creative pieces. It also includes a seven-page writing packet designed to guide your students to be amazing writers! 



Each packet {narrative and opinion} was created using my "paragraph of the week" formats. Each packet contains a cover page with prompt, graphic organizers, paragraph templates, draft and final copy pages. 



Just like my popular Narrative and Opinion Paragraph of the Week products, these can be used as guided writing lessons, homework packets or self-paced writing projects. 


Common Core Aligned: 
First Grade: W.1.1, W.1.2, W.1.3, W.1.5, W.1.6, W.1.7, W.1.8

Second Grade: W.2.1, W.2.2, W.2.3, W.2.5, W.2.6, W.2.8

Third Grade: W.3.1 W.3.2 W.3.3 W.3.4 W.3.5 W.3.6 W.3.7 W.3.8 W.3.10

Fourth Grade W.4.1, W.4.2, W.4.4, W.4.5, W.4.6, W.4.7, W.4.8, W.4.9

Fifth Grade: W.5.1, W.5.2, W.5.3, W.5.4, W.5.5, W.5.6, W.5.7, W.5.8, W.5.9









Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 



By the way, if you are not already subscribed to The Clutter-Free Classroom newsletter I encourage you sign up. Subscribers receive weekly tips for organizing and managing a classroom as well as exclusive free printables. You can sign up here.