Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Getting Ready to Go Back to School

I absolutely love that when I return to my classroom to set up after being away all summer it feels like a homecoming. Those four walls truly are my second home and it is always to catch up with work friends I haven't seen in awhile.

Which is a good thing. 

Because it makes walking into this scene much more bearable.

I went back yesterday for the first time since leaving on the last day of school back in June. I assumed I would have my work cut out for me, but it actually all went together rather quickly. I spent from 8:00-noon yesterday at school (admittedly most of that time was spent chatting) and a few more hours today.
The room is ready by classroom standards, but I'm in tweaking mode...which these days translates into "going all Pinterest on the place."

My goal is to have it 'turn-key ready' before Friday as next week promises to be a whirlwind of wonderful summer fun with travel and house guests and parties and hopefully some relaxation and recharging before school starts.

My Facebook Question of the Day today asked readers to suggest books that are inspirational and motivational. I always try to read something new right before school starts. Several of you recommended, Teach Like a PIRATE: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator.


Well, with a title that promises so much, a bunch of votes for it on my Facebook page and great Amazon feedback I had to pick that one. I ordered it today and am excited to read it while we are away.

In other news I've been working on a few things for my own classroom that I'm (s-l-o-w-l-y) getting around to adding to my teacher store. Today I uploaded Spiral Review Task Cards for Common Core Math for Second and Third Graders. 
{Click to access and download:
Common Core Math Task Cards for ALL Second Grade Standards}


The packet includes 8 sets of cards which cover ALL of the Common Core Standards for Math for 2nd grade. I plan to use them at the start of the year with my 3rd graders as a review and as a way for me to quickly identify 2nd grade standards that I'll need to build in mini-lessons for during Math Workshop. They are also perfect for second grade teachers to use throughout the school year as spiral review or in June as an end-of-year review.

Each of the eight sets contains 24 cards, a recording sheet and an answer key. I had them printed in color and laminated them, but they look fantastic printed in ink-saving greyscale as well.










Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 



By the way, if you are not already subscribed to The Clutter-Free Classroom newsletter I encourage you sign up. Subscribers receive weekly tips for organizing and managing a classroom as well as exclusive free printables. You can sign up here.