Thursday, August 8, 2013

First Day of School {Tips for Organizing and Managing the First Day of School}









  • Prepare at home the night before...Pick out your outfit and lay it out with shoes and accessories, Pack your teacher bag. Plan a healthy breakfast. Pack a healthy lunch, snacks and water. Have your keys, cell phone, etc. on the counter and ready to go. Make sure there is plenty of gas in the car. Feeling “ready” will make a huge difference.
  • Arrive early.  The first day is exciting. Be sure to get to school early so you have a chance to settle into the classroom, make sure all your ducks are in a row and be calm and ready to greet your new friends.
  • Select activities that don’t require specific academic skills. Because you are not yet aware of your students’ abilities it is best to have them work on activities that won’t cause frustration. I created a collection of activities that can be completed using words or pictures for this reason. I also always have them paint a self-portrait that we display throughout the year.
  • Choose your ice breakers carefully. Many of them are great in theory, but cause lots of excitement. Remember, it’s day one which means you won’t have complete control over the class just yet. Save the more exciting activities for later in the week. 


  • Have an “everyone can do it” activity ready for when the students first enter the classroom. Unexpected things happen (having a student show up that wasn’t on your list, lingering parents, a child in tears) that will take your attention. Therefore, it is helpful to have an open-ended activity ready and waiting for the students. For many years now I have used Playdough (even with third graders). It’s the perfect start to the new year because it is a quiet activity that doesn’t require reading or writing, it isn’t a task they can quickly complete and then not know what t do afterwards, and best of all it is calming for their First Day Jitters.
  • Have a plan for all those school supplies. I use large grocery bags that I prepare ahead of time. You can read all about my system here.

  • Take pictures. Easier said than done since you’ll be super-busy, but with some planning (or assistance) you’ll have no problem snapping some great photos that will be cherished keepsakes. Last year I created a First Day of School frame and took a photo of each of my students holding it. I ended up printing two copies...one to send home and one to go in their portfolio. This year I intend to display them with a writing sample {either “The First Day of School” from my Narrative of the Week Packet or “The First Day of School vs The Last Day of School” to prepare them for writing opinion paragraphs which we will do using my Opinion of the Week Packet. These will make a nice bulletin boardBecause you will be busy it will be helpful to find a “helper” to take pictures for you. 


  • Extra hands are always helpful, but on the first day they are a blessing. Consider asking a parent volunteer from a previous year to come in and help for an couple hours. Since they are familiar with you, your classrooms, and your routines they can be a great asset. 
  • Share your expectations for the first day before school even begins. If you have a class website or if you send a Welcome Letter in the mail, you can send an overview of what to expect on the first day of school. Explain where the students will go when they arrive at school. Tell them what they will do with their supplies, backpacks lunch bags and snacks. Share some of the activities that you will be doing on the first day.
  • Touch base with each family before school starts. Ask them to email you the manner in which their child will be dismissed on the first day. It means a lot to parents when you reach out to them before the new year (either by phone, mail or email). 
  • End the day making them want to come back for more. I send home a All About Me Bag activity for them to do on the first night. They come to school the  next day excited to share. I also explain the expectations for the morning before they leave so they’ll know what to do when they come in.












Back to School Packet {13 Ready-to-Use Activities for Grades 2-4}








 
  


For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom
please check out my Clutter-Free Guide along with my Teaching Procedures and Routines Workbook
Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the Freebie of the Day

Click here for a listing of all of the Teacher Tips and Printables from The Summer of 2013.


You can view all of the 




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

4 comments:

  1. I am always so nervous the first day though I've been doing this for several years now!

    Good Tips!

    Melissa
    Ms. Chae Charges In

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to get nervous for my first day as well! I like this idea with the brown bags, I will definitely use it! I have been coming to your blog for a while now and thought I'd say hi! I love it and have been referencing it often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice!
    Thank you!

    I need to get better at taking pictures this year. I like the idea of keeping photos in their portfolios.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some wonderful advice! Thanks for sharing!!

    Andrew
    Mr. First Grade

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...