Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How to Organize and Manage a Math Workshop with Guided Math Instruction {Tips, Photos, Ideas and Printables}

Do you know what my absolute favorite time of the school day is? Math Workshop! In fact, thanks to the Common Core, I'm a bit math obsessed lately. Which is funny to me because, as a student, I personally hated math all through school.  Loathed it in fact.  And if I am being honest, math was also my very least subject to teach for many years. The whole class format of math instruction posed many problems.  It was a struggle to get them engaged and keep their attention. 

Their understanding fell on a spectrum. They ranged from "I'm bored because I already know this yet I have to listen to it anyway" to "I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about, but if I sit quietly enough you may not notice because Johnny and Susie are using the pattern blocks inappropriately and you're distracted by trying to redirect them."

And then it happened.

I started teaching math the same way I had been teaching language arts and it absolutely changed everything. Kids became engaged and on task at all times. I felt like I really understood each student as an individual mathematician. The classroom was filled with the sound of students having meaningful conversations about math, discussing strategies and learning from each other. Those who needed extra support were receiving it and those who needed a challenge were enriched. Best of all, after a few weeks, the room ran itself.

When I implemented the workshop I developed an acronym using the word "MATH" to set up my rotations. One of my top-selling products is the Math Rotation Board that goes with this acronym. I have long been promising to create an additional resource to detail how to organize and prepare your classroom for math workshop, get the workshop up and running each year, form ability-based and flexible small groups, manage math station rotations, use math tubs on days you are not holding a workshop, lesson plan and more.

I certainly didn't expect the process would take so long, but after about 100 hours of writing, typing, photographing, creating and editing I am incredibly proud to finally present...

Click to Access and Download: CFC's Guided to Organizing and Managing a Math Workshop with Guided Math Instruction
  
Click any of the photos below to view a larger image of everything included in this giant packet.


 

 

 

Please note:
This product is debuting at a discounted rate. I know a lot of you are headed back to school soon and want to get your "ducks in a row" so for a limited time, the Guide to Organizing and Managing Math Workshop with Guided Math Instruction is being offered at 33% off the normal price...a better than even the best sale on TPT.




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

12 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that all the work you do is fantastic. :) I am a repeat buyer of your wonderful products. I am very excited about the math workshop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post says the package is on sale on TPT. When I click the link and login, the package has actually gone up in price? TPT says it used to be $10 now is $12. Is that because you added items? Is the $12 the sale price?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you zoom on it in TpT it says was $18 but it looks like $10 when you see it in tiny print with the strike through.
    it looks like a great resource and I had to get it right away! Thanks for allthe time and the outstanding products you make. You've cost me a bunch of money this summer and it's been worth every cent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! I was looking at it before 7am and with only a half a cup of coffee in me. Not surprised I didn't read it right. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I have been trying to make these myself and I don't have the patience. You were the first blog I started following when I learned about teacher blogs and you are by far my favorite. I am definitely buying this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious...how long is your math block that you use this math workshop for? Do you do any whole group teaching or just math workshop? Looks like a great product, just need a little more info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also interested in this because I'm unhappy with the way my math block works right now, but my district uses investigations math and I'm not sure how well it would work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whee!!! I'm so excited! Thank you for creating this wonderful resource! Any chance you might be doing the same thing with your reading/writing blocks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I purchased your MATH Workshop Roatation Board last year & loved it - The kids loved the MATH acronym & it helped me plan some great lessons. Thank you - LOVE your products!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having trouble clicking on the images above for a closer look. I'm interested in what the questing cards are all about! :) BTW- your stuff is fabulous!!!!! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having trouble viewing the images above also. I'd love to look more closely. It seems like a fantastic product!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...