Saturday, April 27, 2013

FRACTION BOOKS: Math Literature

On Thursday  I blogged about some of the activities that I had done in my classroom to teach my third graders about fractions and shared some materials from my Fraction Packet. You can read that post here.

This year I have really been trying to incorporate more math literature into my lessons. Above are the books that I had borrowed from the public library that focused on fractions. I plan to order a couple to own.

Whole-y Cow: Fractions Are Fun was simple and engaging. I read it to my second grade son before I brought it to school and he quickly understood the concept of fractions in a set. 

Full House: An Invitation to Fractions was a book that my students enjoyed listening to and I modeled the fractions on the board as I read it aloud.


The other books were worth checking out and worked well as a center during my math workshop rotations.




Click on any of the books below to read full descriptions and see additional images via Amazon.

    


   

Be sure to check out my Common Core aligned, 150+ page fraction packet if you are going to be teaching that concept in first grade, second grade, third grade or fourth grade. It's full of resources, games, projects, and activities to use during your Math Workshop.



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

2 comments:

  1. :) This post just makes me happy! I love when teachers incorporate literature into math. I think with common core, more reading will be involved in math problems!

    Bridget
    Literacy Without Worksheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loove that you have a literacy station during your math workshop time! I am totally building this in now, thanks for the great book ideas.

    Amanda
    cheriiebutterfly06@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...