Saturday, March 9, 2013

St. Patrick's Day {Get Inspired: Thematic Ideas & Resources}



Top of the Morning To Ya! It's Saturday and I'm about to head into school for a wee bit. We had a very unexpected snow day yesterday and I need to tie up some loose ends and finish my St. Patrick's Day bulletin board.  We made an adorable craft to display with our writing projects which I'll soon share. In the meantime, here are some ideas and resources to "get you inspired!"

These would make great classroom projects and many would work well on a bulletin board to showcase St. Patrick's Day Themed student writing work. Please visit my St. Patrick's Day Pinterest Board if you are interested in seeing more ideas that I have collected and to read my comments and suggestions for using these.


 















 Do you read any of Gail Gibbon's Books to your class? I really enjoy them all. The majority of them are science-based so be sure to check them out before you start a unit. St. Patrick's Day does a wonderful job of explaining the origin of the holiday to young children. It discusses symbols and is written in a way that makes it easy for the youngest learners to understand without simplifying it too much for older learners.
 
Another one of my favorite authors is Eve Bunting. That's What Leprechauns Do is  all about the hijinks of leprechauns and is a very cute read.  She also wrote another St. Patrick's Day book titled, Green Shamrocks which I don't find to be of "Eve Bunting quality," but is a cute read for little ones. I thought the illustrations were cute.


The Night Before St. Patrick's Day is yet another twist on the classic, Twas the Night Before Christmas. While it certainly doesn't fell into the "highly educational" category, it is lighthearted and fun and the kids always like it. It's especially fun if your class is into the idea of catching a leprechaun (as my friends always seem to be).


If you teach an older grade (I would say 3-5), you'll want to add Tomie daPaola's book, Patrick: Patron Saint of 
Ireland to your collection. It's a bit wordy and the content may be too advanced for K-2, but it really does a nice job of teaching children about St. Patrick. 


Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the ideas! I especially like the book suggestions!

    Bridget

    Literacy Without Worksheets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Bridget! Do you have any titles you like? I'm also looking for new books for the classroom and at home with my own little people. :) Jodi

      Delete
  2. Lots of great activities- thanks for posting them!
    Squirrels
    Going Nutty!
    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for reading along. :) Jodi

      Delete
  3. I love the St. Patty's Day craft ideas! I can add that pepper one to my nutrition unit- how cute!! Thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I love when lessons overlap. A nutrition unit sounds like fun. :) Jodi

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous of your snow day on Friday! We had at least 8 inches on the ground by 7:30 in Malden and somehow they didn't call school. This post makes me wish I taught a lower grade, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, We're neighbors! Malden is only a few towns away from me. I was surprised by the fact that school was closed, but as the day went on it was definitely a good call. Can you believe how much snow we got? :) Jodi

      Delete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...