Monday, November 12, 2012

PREVENTING PAPERS WITH NO NAMES {Coffee and a Clever Idea}


I love this idea. Ms. Williamson reminds her friends to write their name by adding in the step of highlighting it before turning it in. Now I know what you're thinking..."If they can't remember to write their name, what makes you think they'll remember to highlight it?"

I'm confident that would be a non-issue.

Have you ever offered to let a child use a highlighter? Enough said. :)

For additional tips on collecting student work see my blog post titled, "Collecting Student Work."

For additional tips on managing student assignments see my blog post titled, "Managing Student Assignments."

Join me each weekday morning for coffee & a clever idea. 
Here's how: Follow my blog.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this idea. My students don't miss a chance to use a highlighter or marker for something. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It absolutely works!!! I do this in my class this year and I rarely have papers with no name, even if there isn't a spot to write their name. That highlighter is just too appealing to not use it!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this and it has severely cut down on the number of no-name papers! It is very rare that I am deciphering handwriting to figure out who a paper belongs to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the most no names when there isn't a space to write the name at the top (like Gina said) I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for the links to other posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something must have been up with the group I had last year. They would not consistently use the highlighter even though it was right there with a big SIGN by the hand-in basket. There were no-names and non-highlighted names regularly. Really surprised me for second graders! I really hope that group was just a fluke highlighter-wise and that the rest of you have fantaastic luck with this system!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The source link has a problem. Can you fix it, please. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started having my kids (6th graders) highlight their names at the beginning of this year. I have had ZERO no-name papers. It's been AMAZING. Such a time-saver!

    A hint - I store highlighters in the supply caddies my students keep at their desks. It helps with the line at the turn-in tray as they all highlight their names.

    ReplyDelete