Thursday, November 29, 2012

How I Made Nouns Fun...

When I mention the word "science" in my classroom, 22 little faces all light up with excitement. I accidentally left a bag of bolts on a shelf in their view the other day and when I was asked what they were for and casually replied, "we'll be using them in science later this week" the room went nuts! They spent the entire day trying to get more details out of me and demanding to know the specific date and time they would be using them.

In all my years of teaching, I have never seen joyous excitement like that when I teach grammar. 

I mean it's grammar. How much fun can it be?

And not for nothing, but I know my colleagues down there in grades K-2 have told them about nouns and verbs and adjectives before and yet my 3rd graders always insist it is the first they have heard of such a thing.

So this year I have set out on a mission to make grammar more memorable and engaging.  I am a realist and I understand that they will probably never hoot and holler for adverbs the way they will for magnets and electricity, but I'm pretty darn excited about what I've been coming up with.

Oh, and there was actually lots of hoots and hollers and begging for more when I did one of the activities in this pack so take that science!

{Click to access and download: Nouns-Project Based Activities, Crafts and a Game}








{Click to access and download: Nouns-Project Based Activities, Crafts and a Game}

teaching grammar, teaching nouns, ideas for teaching about nouns, project-based learning, making grammar fun, fun grammar, lesson plans, parts of speech, homeschool, grammar rules, homeschool grammar, teaching english, learning english




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

2 comments:

  1. This pack looks great! I love the noun flap book and noun flip book. My kids love making "posters" or crafts in their learning so this would be fabulous for teaching nouns. Thanks for the wonderful idea. And the plural nouns looks great too!

    Steph
    missaugello.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first year teaching, and I have a class of Third Graders. I laughed out loud (like actually ;)) when you said this:

    "And not for nothing, but I know my colleagues down there in grades K-2 have told them about nouns and verbs and adjectives before and yet my 3rd graders always insist it is the first they have heard of such a thing."

    I would go as far to say that they forget from week to week! We've done a few Christmas mad libs as we move towards the end of the year this week, and they have LOVED them. Without even realising they're coming up with nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs!

    I'll have to check your pack out! I love the plural nouns folding activity!

    ReplyDelete