Saturday, November 3, 2012

FAVORITE NOVEMBER READ ALOUDS FOR KIDS


Are you looking for some new ideas for November read alouds (or perhaps a reminder of some favorites you've forgotten about)? Here are some of my faves along with suggestions from teachers all over the map :)

10 Fat Turkeys is a simple rhyming book that I think is best for Preschool through 1st grade. It's funny and they enjoy predicting the numbers as the turkeys fall off the fence based on the rhyming text. It could easily be tied in with a math lesson for our littlest learners.

Thanksgiving Rules by Laurie Friedman is also geared toward younger students, but can absolutely by used with older kids as well.  BECAUSE...it lends itself to teaching the writing trait of organization AND it makes a great springboard for having the children write their own pieces inspired by the book. The finished result makes a great class book. I'll be sharing ours soon. 



Admittedly, I am biased about The Thankful Book because I absolutely LOVE all things Todd Parr. I love how happy they make my own children at home and I love how fun they are to use in the classroom (check out the great writing/bulletin board/anti-bullying lesson I did with my class last year using Todd's book, "It's Okay To Be Different .") The The Thankful Book also lends itself to a great writing project for all ages and abilities...and one that is sure to be a keepsake by the moms and dads who receive the finished copies.

I simply can not do justice to Balloons over Broadway by Melissa Sweet in words. Please do yourself a favor and hop on over to it's page on Amazon and click on the "search inside this book" link under the image of the cover. It's a beautifully designed book that is put together with collages and illustrations. I'm in the process of planning an awesome integrated unit using this book during our short Thanksgiving week. I know my third graders will love it!

I was so excited to see that Cranberry Thanksgiving was once again available for purchase. We had this book when I was little and I remember reading it over and over with my mom and baking the cranberry bread recipe that is part of the story for Thanksgiving every year. I am also looking forward to sharing it with my class. They really enjoy when I read them books "from when I was a kid," but more importantly the book's theme about not judging someone by how they look will be a great addition to our weekly anti-bullying class meeting and will make for a great follow-up discussion.

So those are 5 of my favorite Thanksgiving Books. As part of my social studies curriculum, I do a HUGE project based on the Pilgrims and Wampanoags so I'm going to save that (and my book collection that relates) for a separate post this week. However, I did take the opportunity to poll the readers of the Clutter-Free Classroom Facebook Page and am honored to share some of their favorite November books with you as well. Please click on the book's image to read descriptions and reviews and see more photos from Amazon.

                
    
 
{A special thanks to Christy, Delores, Randi, Anne, Gayle, Mandy, Andrea, Kim, Glenda, Laurie, Joel, Shawna, Miss A, Andrea, Marie, Misty, Chrisstina, Jillian, Rachael, Karen and Chanel for the suggestions! }













Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this list. I love book recommendations and have added some of your titles onto my Amazon wishlist!

    Have you ever seen the book, Proud as a Peacock Brave as a Lion? It is a beautifully illustrated remembrance story that doesn't go into too many war-related details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST BEST read aloud for grades 3 and 4 (not a holiday-type book) is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. It is the ONE book that each class begs me not to finish because they dont want it to be over. It takes a toy rabbit (you hear his thoughts but he does not talk) who is arrogant and selfish to a journey. he is owned by several very different people: a little girl..an old fisherman and his wife...a hobo and his dog...an old woman...a sick little girl...a young boy...a doll mender...and then back to the little girl, all grown up who comes into the shop and recognizes him. He learns how to feel more and more with each new owner...is renamed...learns humility, hopelessness, joy, love....you can map out his journey and make a time line.....you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward Tulane is an excellent read aloud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack Prelutsky's IT'S THANKSGIVING, great read aloud poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to read Squanto, A Plump and Perky Turkey, and Molly's Pilgrim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your book recommendations! A few of them are old favorites and a few will surely find their way into my classroom. Another must-read is The Pilgrims and ME by Judy Donnelly. It has a great combination of photos and drawings, a simple but informational diagram of the Mayflower, short bios of some Pilgrims, and more. Btw, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the book Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland and Sonja Lamut. It is very simple but it has great examples for being thankful.

    Shelly
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the book, "What does PEACE feel like?" by Vladimir Radunsky. It's actually written BY kids and is based on the 5 senses. I read it to my Grade 5s and we just created some beautiful art to go with it! Perfect timing for Remembrance Day.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...