Monday, October 22, 2012

The Book Whisperer...So Far I'm Loving It

I am not an impulse buy kind of gal.

I used to be. There was a time when I couldn't walk into Target without leaving with a cart full of impulsive purchases. I've booked trips on impulse. Punta Cana anyone? I didn't even know where it was on the map. I bought a Honda Civic on impulse. At least that was a sensible impulse buy that I got many years and miles out of. Punta Cana...not so much.

And then I became a "responsible adult." 

Which really isn't all that fun. 

Anyhow, I don't know if this really can be considered an impulse buy since I have had it on my amazon wish list since the spring, but I impulse bought The Book Whisperer on Friday.


I was reading something online that mentioned it during lunch on Friday and I thought, "I've been meaning to buy that for months." 

So I did.

Along with everything else on my wish list. 

A whole big cart of dorky teacher reads and some books for my own kids. I live on the edge.

The books arrived on Saturday at 9:20 a.m.  How crazy is that? I heart Amazon Prime.

And I am totally loving this book.  It is exactly what I needed to read right about now. I'll have lots more to say about it soon.

Have you read it? What are you reading?



Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


11 comments:

  1. Sometimes there is NOTHING better than a good book!!!

    Ashley
    The Teacher's Treasure Chest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book over the summer! We are implementing the 40 book challenge in fifth grade at my school. My students are really enjoying the challenge. They are reading, reading, reading! I'm loving it! She is such an inspiring author and really reminded me of why I love teaching reading! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it!!! Read it last year during our late October snowstorm and it changed my thinking of teaching reading. Hope for several days with no power!!!

    I came back to school with a new attitude. I started using the notebooks that following week and set a challenge for the kids. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it over the summer and suggested it to my three teaching partners, we are implementing much of the concept. Our students love freedom of choice in reading. I have kids DEVOURING books! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book! I read it a couple years ago when I had a student teacher! Most of my school has tead it. It has really made an impact on our students grades 3-5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I totally agree with it and teach reading in the same way! My students have often said "Can we read all day?" They love reading books of their choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One the few books I have read 3 times :)
    Tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the first book I recommend for teachers new to the workshop style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, I am a big dork and spend all my Christmas Amazon gift cards buying teacher books. However, since I teach math, most of my books center around that and classroom management. However, I recently bought this book. I have always loved reading, but I wasn't sure I could TEACH people how to read. I have just started it and am looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this book. This is my third year of implementing reading journals and a 30 book challenge (I teach 3rd grade.) My students end the year better readers and writers. I just finished up our fall parent/teacher conferences and the parents are loving it---even though it is a challenging/hard assignment. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...