Tuesday, October 30, 2012

GET KIDS STARTED WITH BOOK TALKS {Coffee & a Clever Idea}


I find that the most challenging thing about getting kids talking about anything is getting them started. This seems like it is especially true with book talks. That's why I love this anchor chart. If a child picks one of these it should get the ball rolling and lead to some meaningful discussions.

This would also make a great bookmark.

Can you think of any other sentence starters you could include to get them talking about books?

Join me each weekday morning for coffee & a clever idea. 
Here's how: Follow my blog.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great poster. It's so hard for kids to know what to talk about when we ask them to share their reading. I tell the kids that they can talk about a character by saying "I think (character)is (describing words) because....(give evidence from text).

    Thanks for the great tip this morning!
    Heather
    Peacocks & Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a similar sentence frame for talking about a character, we use " It seems like (character is ______________ because__(evidence). "

    I have a high population of ESOL students, I usually have my students "turn and talk" before sharing. I even do this in small guided reading groups. I've found it helps them build confidence and rehearse their ideas before sharing to the class.

    I'll be posting this chart near my guided reading table and book club table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have younger kids, but we recently got a book from antoniosacre.com called A Mango in the Hand. Antonio Sacre wrote this in proverbs, and they seem to be great conversation starters getting my kids to talk about what they have read. I wish I could find more books like this! Your poster is great, it's a great list to get kids to talk about what they've read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read your Common Core Standards closely and critically my friends. Don't stick to I statements too long as our growing thinkers need to be focused on the text, not on themselves as they become college and career ready. Focus first on the main character and her/his motivations for literature and on the main topic first for informational text. Be sure the evidence for their book sharing comes from the text they are referencing. So, the new challenge is not to post this poster, but to modify it to fit the Core of our work together. Who is with me?

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...