Friday, October 19, 2012

FREEBIE: How to Manage and Track Self-Selected Reading in the Classroom



While I absolutely love this routine, I do find that some of my friends need some accountability for their reading. I had toyed with the idea of reader responses, but I truly wanted this time of day to be about reading for enjoyment from a book that they picked out themselves. So I implemented a status check-in at the end of each session. 




{Click to access and download: Reader Status Logs}

To do this, I print a copy of the printable for each student in my class, three-hole punch the stack and insert them into a pronged folder. When it’s time to transition to our first activity of the day, I flip through the pages and record the book and page # that each of my friends is on. I teach third and they are typically reading chapter books over several days so I just make those little quote marks underneath.  There is a section for notes. I don’t typically write in that area unless there is something “noteworthy” to report (i.e. student met with me for a reading conference, was in the bathroom during this time, appeared to be daydreaming, etc). At the end of the month, I remove them from the folder and put each into the individual student sections of my ELA Notes Binder.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea, I have a friend who teaches 3rd grade and she was going to have them start filling out a reading response page, I'll have to share this with her. Thanks for the freebie!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out how to track this without oodles of paperwork and time. Thank you for creating just what I need when I need it.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...