Monday, October 15, 2012

A Tip for TEACHING MAIN IDEA {A Visual Method}

Raise your hand if you struggle with teaching kids how to find the main idea in a text?

I think it's one of the trickiest things for kids to grasp.

Last week the main selection in our reading curriculum (Treasures in case you were wondering) was a non-fiction article and the focus skill was main idea. We had completed an overview of all genres at the start of the school year, but it was time to roll up our sleeves and really dig into some non-fiction. 

To keep it all focused and feed into their craving for all things Halloween(ish) I planned a week of bat research...but you already knew that because I wrote all about it yesterday {if you missed it you can read it here and check out some cool bat craft activities to make with your kids}.

Between teaching it in school that day and helping my own 2nd grader with his main idea and details homework that afternoon, I had main idea on the brain.

Even later in the evening when I was building blocks with my twins.

And that was when I had an "Ah ha Moment!"


The next day I grabbed some blocks from my math manipulatives, an index card, a pair of scissors, some Post-It Notes, a marker and a non-fiction text. I placed the sticky part of the sticky note onto a block, folded it over and cut along the crease. This gave me sticky papers that were the exact same size as each block.

Next, I wrote sentences from the text that would be considered "supporting details." The students read the details and decided what the main idea of all the blocks together would be. That was written on the card....which was then literally supported by the details.



It seemed like the visual really helped some of my friends to gain a better understanding of the concept. 

I then created several collections of blocks and recorded sentences onto each. I placed them out on my back counter with colored cards that coordinated with the blocks. The kiddos then worked in pairs to write out cards with what they considered to be the main idea.

They loved the hands-on aspect and the visual and did quite well with identifying the main idea. I'm planning to add this in as a READer's Workshop station throughout the year and will use this approach backwards in Writer's Workshop as well.

Do you have any tips or tricks for teaching main idea and details?


Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always told mine to think of a table. But I never made one!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea is terrific! I like how the details physically support the main idea. I also have done main idea using a bucket. We fill the bucket with details and label it on the outside. The label is the main idea. "Labeling the Bucket" is a strategy taught in Keys to Literacy PD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea!!!!!! You are truly amazing!! I like Richard's idea about the bucket, too. I'm going to have to "steal" both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea!! We have TONS of jenga blocks perfect for this...

    I am your newest follower! Come visit me over at http://aisforafterschool.blogspot.com/

    -Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. WONDERFUL! I have seen a chair with four legs as a visual too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing. Absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips again! Hopefully the teachers got inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the kinestic aspect. Last year I used a table to describe the main idea and details. We cut out ovals and legs and then glued onto paper. We used this a graphic organizer. I really like this idea!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...