Monday, September 10, 2012

My Favorite Programs for Creating Resource {Q&A Monday}


What program(s) do you use to create your materials?


I was always a word / powerpoint user. I'll never forget the day I tried using Powerpoint to create a classroom worksheet and discovered I could move things around without everything shifting like it did in Word.

And then I bought a Macbook (pause to insert bright lights and angelic singing over the joy known as converting from a PC to a Mac).

So I needed new software.

I went into the Apple Store and asked for the Office Software for my new computer. The guy who looked younger than my 3rd grade students assured me that I instead wanted iWork. He told be that it was compatible with Word and Powerpoint, but could do much more and would be much more user-friendly. I liked the sound of that. Plus they call these guys "Geniuses" and who am I to argue with a "Genius?"

I'll be honest. I cursed out that man for almost a year. I often thought about going back and paying him a not-so-friendly visit. While I am a fan of learning new things in general that doesn't apply to technology. When it comes to techy stuff I prefer to live in my comfort zone.

But alas, with time and trial and error I grew to love both Pages and Keynote. In fact, I just bought the newest version of Word and Powerpoint and am currently hating on them both so I think I stick with iWork.

So to answer the question...I use both of those with a healthy dose of Photoshop to spice things up.

I really don't think they are hard to use or learn at all if you are open them. I keep discovering new aspects to them that make me love them more. So I suppose the Genius was spot on...he just didn't account for my learning curve.

Here are a couple of links to give you some more info on the programs if you are interested (and don't forget to use your educator discount):


Visit my Blog Calendar Page to read about my daily Blog Schedule and learn about all the ways to follow along with the Clutter-Free Classroom.


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

10 comments:

  1. I must say that I am one who uses Office for Mac because of the iWork learning curve. I continually go back to it because I really want to like it, but I keep finding that I hate it! I need a tutor! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My district just converted to Mac. They have eased us in with Word and Powerpoint for Mac. Eventually (next year), we will be using Pages too. Thanks for the info!

    -EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always used PowerPoint and love it...but I'm a PC so what do I know ;)

    Thanks for sharing your tips!!

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree
    500 Follower Giveaway {Click Here}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use PowerPoint also, but I want a MacBook Pro soooooo bad!!! I'm currently saving up for one! Luckily for me, I use Pages and Keynote on my iPad, so I'm a little bit familiar with them!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a Mac user for 20+ years. I finally had to switch from "Appleworks" (an ancient Mac program) to "Pages" when Appleworks would no longer work with the new OS. Oh my goodness, I wish I had jumped on board when Pages first came out. It's so good, user friendly and I can do anything I want. Anyone who is considering going to Mac and learning "Pages" should just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO happy that you posted about this. I have a MacBook and use iWorks but haven't been able to fall in love with keynote. I can't wait to read over your info page on it so that I can start creating some fun things for my class.
    Thank youSOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a Number 1 Mac supporter. I love using Pages. I have always used a mac but only used Appleworks(the previous word processing for Mac). It took me a while to convert to Pages and now I don't know why I waited so long. Pages gives you so much flexibility and the more I use it, the more I find I can do. Its like everything. Start out small. Keep using it, persevere... you won't regret it.
    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a diehard fan of Pages and Keynote. I could not even tell you how to work in Word/Powerpoint now. I now feel that I am a Pages "genius" =)

    Laura
    Kinder Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pages! I just hate that I can't take things to school to use/ edit on my pc :(

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...