Wednesday, September 12, 2012

MAKE IT HOMEY WITH FLOWERS {Whatever Wednesday}


I do not have a green thumb.

In fact, I don't "do nature" as a general rule.

But, I love the splash of color and touch of home that plants and flowers provide. This is a great time of year to add them to your classroom because its "mums season" and they are cheap, colorful and hardy.
"Mouse Over" image for links

I made a quick run to Home Depot the day before school started. I bought a potted mum for each table, cheapo plastic pots and a can of grey spray paint.

The total cost was less than $15.00.

I gave each of the pots 2 quick coats of paint. I did this so they would better coordinate with my classroom colors and look a bit more customized than the typical fake terra cotta that they once were. 

I love the color.

I love the unexpected pop of color.

I love the opportunity for responsibility that watering the flowers provides to the students.

Because if it were up to me, history has proven that they would be wilted and dead in a week.

Visit my Blog Calendar Page to read about my daily Blog Schedule and learn about all the ways to follow along with the Clutter-Free Classroom.


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I love having plants and fresh flowers in my classroom! One of my student jobs is the Dept. of Agriculture, that student waters them for us!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for y room to look even a fraction of as neat clean and organized as yours! I love the little pendant banners above your calendar!

    Http://lasotaslittlelearners.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about allergies? Last year I had a student with allergies so severe that she came in from recess with her eyes almost puffed shut! I would be afraid to have flowers in the classroom without first checking with parents. Personally, I would rather have a candle or Sensi; I teach middle school, and let's just say we sometimes end up with a funk! But I can't do that either, becaause one year I had a student who got headaches from such fragrances, even my perfume. What's a teacher to do?

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...