Wednesday, September 5, 2012

GETTING KIDS TO ANSWER {Whatever Wednesday}

I read about this idea on a message board and was intrigued. I wish I could remember when so I could go back and say thanks, but I can't

I tried it out.

Holy Cow! It works SO WELL!

You know how you ask kids a question or to explain how they solved a math problem and they say, "I don't know."

It happens all. the. time.

And you try to rephrase the question and guide them to answer.

And it doesn't always work.

So instead try saying...



It's crazy how often they'll respond to that with an answer or a detailed strategy.

I did a lot of Common Core Math work with my son this summer. He's got one of those cool math brains that allows him to think outside the box and solve problems in creative ways. However, he really struggled with verbalizing the process. I started using the phrase above and it was like flipping a switch.

Try it. Come back and let me know if it is equally magical for you.







Visit my Blog Calendar Page to read about my daily Blog Schedule and learn about all the ways to follow along with the Clutter-Free Classroom.



Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


13 comments:

  1. I am so trying this! Thanks for solving my questioning problem. One of my other favorites is "I didn't have my hand raised." Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can say, "What would you say if you did have your hand raised?" :) Jodi

      Delete
  2. Ha! Love it!

    Totally reminds me of that line from Office Space, "So...what would you say you do here?"

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me gasp out loud. Now I can't wait for someone to say "I don't know!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this all the time and it really does work! To combat "I forgot!" I use, "if you didn't forget, what would it be?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT idea! I am definitely going to have to try it.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to use this! I am struggling with this sort of thing in my classroom at the moment. I have a large group of non verbal kids....nice for a while, quiet classroom until you want discussion and explanations then it is like pulling teeth! Thanks for the tip.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely trying it! Thank you!!
    http://growingfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right! It is magical and does generate a response! I tried it today for the first time and the response gates opened! Thank you so much for sharing your excellent ideas and resources! I'm immensely grateful for your continued work to advance teaching and learning!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...