Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Designate Task Days {Teacher Time Saver Tuesday}


I could probably write you a lengthy list of tasks that teachers are responsible for completing, but that’s not necessary because I know all your little heads are spinning right now with the mental lists that we are always making.


It can be overwhelming.

While there will ALWAYS be something else that you could be doing and your teacher to-do list will never truly be completed, there are ways to make it all more manageable.

One of the best tips I can offer to help you save time is to designate specific days / times to completing recurring tasks.

Start by making a list of all the things you need to do regularly. 
Avoid including specific tasks like, “Put together work packet for Bobby because he’ll be on vacation. Instead include things like: make copies, correct work, record grades, file assessment, write lesson plans, etc.
Next, think about how much time these things will each take to complete and decide when the best time to work on them would be because it varies.

For example, at my school the copy room is buzzing from 8:00-8:20 a.m. Not only do I know I’ll need to wait in line for a copier while I’m up there, but I also know that while I’m waiting I’ll be chitchatting with my coworkers. So although I love me some chit chat, I avoid making copies at that time of day. In fact, if you factor in the time it takes to walk to the copier and possibly wait for a machine along with potential paper jams, a need to get more paper, the possibility of running into chit chat companions and multiply that times the 5 days in a school week it can add up to a lot of minutes...and every second counts.

I make my copies on a Friday afternoon because most of the staff has cleared out. That allows me to use more than one machine, focus on the task and get it done in less time. Also, because I’m in “the copy zone” I can then organize them all away into my weekly copy boxes. I can also bring up math games or literacy center pieces to cut out while the copier is running.

I also like to correct all the student work on the same day instead of a little each day. At the very least I like to correct all the work from one subject at one sitting. In addition to not needing to find answer keys, gather stickers, open my online grader, etc numerous times, I like that my mind is focused on one subject or student at a time which allows me to really focus my attention on each child’s progress.

I think you’ll find that by clumping tasks and making them part of your weekly routine, you will be more productive with those tasks and not feel like you have such an abundance of “to-dos” hanging over your head.

These are the “big tasks” I complete each week:

MONDAY: Correct Student Work, Enter Grades
TUESDAY: Lesson Plan Math and Science
WEDNESDAY: Lesson Plan ELA
THURSDAY: Create Homework Packets
FRIDAY: Make copies, prep materials


Visit my Blog Calendar Page to read about my daily Blog Schedule and learn about all the ways to follow along with the Clutter-Free Classroom.




Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


11 comments:

  1. That's a great tip!! I try to avoid the chit chat...but I swear it follows me ;)

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite tip so far! You are so right about the copy room too. There is a time to chit chat... and a time to get work done. I vote for getting work done!

    Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at a new school this year, and we can't do our own copies. It's saved me so much time! I have more time in the morning to prep for the day than I did at my old school. Such a good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip - Friday afternoons are my prime copy time as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your plan! As I was reading the post, I was thinking "will this work?" Looking at your plan feels very manageable! My favorite part: Saturday and Sunday are not on your list! Once I make it through Back to School Night (Thursday), I'm going to make a plan for myself! Thanks for this tip!

    -Dani
    A Place to Thrive

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another great tip. Your ideas have made my life so much easier!! Thank you!!

    Also, I just copied off my procedures manual to share with my aide today. To say she was impressed is an understatement!! I bought that last year and I have loved it!! I would link it in this email, but I don't know how. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas! I do my copying on Friday afternoons and love being able to think clearly since our lounge is empty. I actually end up monopolizing two copiers and two tables without any guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tips! I am working on making a list like this so I don't feel so overwhelmed on Fridays! Thanks for always inspiring me to be more organized!

    Caroline
    A Tale of 2 First Grades

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas, Jodi! We are blessed enough to have a copy shop as well as parent volunteers. Of course, this requires me to be organized, and usually I don't have enough time to utilize these great resources! But you have shown me and inspired me to take control of my schedule, my plans, and make them work for me. Think smarter. And it's working!! We just passed the halfway point for first quarter and this year has to be the best I've had yet, out of all 18 of them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! You are so right about the AM copies & chit chats...guilty! :( I think you have some great ideas for how to stay organized. My husband calls my continual To-Do List job security, good times.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...