Friday, August 17, 2012

To Answer Your Question...

I wrote about how I always start the First Day of School with Play Dough (in 3rd grade) and shared my favorite recipe and a printable packet with you the other day {click on the link if you missed it}.

Several readers wanted to know about the quantity I make and how much the recipe yields.

So I whipped up a batch for you all to see.

My kids were thrilled. In fact, I was rocking my "Seasonal Stay-at-Home Mom" gig that day. I made homemade play dough with them, we had a picnic lunch and fed the ducks, we went to the library (complete with a canvas book tote b/c I think that is a mandatory SAHM prop), baked cookies and made puppets.

Of course I then fed them pizza for dinner in front of the TV while they watched The Lorax...

...and I'm pretty sure that was their favorite part of the day.

Anyhow, back to the play dough.


Here is what one batch looks like next to some familiar objects to give you an idea of it's size.


I then cut it into 8 equal pieces and bag it up. The recipe I shared doubles perfectly. When I'm making it for the first day I usually make two DOUBLE batches which gives me 24 bags plus some for the kiddies at home to play with. It's the perfect size for the students to use on the first couple days.

When I have parents make it throughout the year some make one batch and some double it. Since it is for a small center it's a good amount.

I buy the snack size baggies at the Dollar Tree, but if you have access to someone who uses baby food then those little plastic containers (not the glass ones) are perfect too.



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use play dough!
    This just may make it into my Day 1 plans.
    I have been so focused on getting my classroom done, I haven't thought that far ahead! I posted some pics of my Patriotic new environment. Stop by if you get a chance. :)

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely used this idea after I read your post and my kids loved it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fabulous idea! I was scrambling to find something to keep my new crew busy on the first day & it worked like a charm. I've always done worksheets, but this is my new first day go to activity. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this on the first day of school and it was a huge hit! I have 30 3rd graders this year and it kept them all occupied while I (with the help of a wonderful parent) organized everyone's stuff. They wanted to play with it all day! I will be doing this again next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...