Friday, July 20, 2012

WORD COLLECTION BOARD {Classroom 360}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos. Be sure to check out all the other posts.


This is my Word Collection Board. It's a space in my classroom designated to displaying interesting word choices found in texts. When I teach writing I focus heavily on word choice. We discuss how adding adjectives or selecting "strong verbs" improve the craft and there is no better way to demonstrate this than with mentor texts. 

When I am reading books aloud to the class I will often pause to point out an "impressive word choice." I'll share how the word puts more of a visual image in my head than a weaker synonym would. I then record the word onto a Post-It note. I write the word, the title of the book it was found in, and it's meaning.  We stick the Post-Its onto the Word Collection Board. 

I encourage students to do the same during independent reading times. They stick their words right next to the board. A few times a week I grab those notes from the wall and bring them to our writer's workshop minilesson and invite those friends to share their words. Before long they are bringing in words they find when reading at home. 

Here's the best part. When a student uses one of the words from the board in his own writing, he adds a tally to a chart underneath. This encourages them to be on the lookout for new vocabulary and to always be thinking about the words they use in writing. 

To create this board I...
  • used my Cricut to cut out the letters for the title (you could use bulletin board letters or stickers)
  • mounted the letters onto blue cardstock and mounted the cardstock onto scrapbook paper
  • displayed them above a piece of black posterboard turned positioned horizontally
  • framed out both pieces with colored ribbon to help define the space




Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


9 comments:

  1. I am so excited to have found you blog. I can't wait to explore it further. I am your newest follower. I hope you can stop by my site soon.

    http://mrsbsbest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Mrs. B...I hope you find lots of useful info. Thanks for following along. :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to share the interesting words in our classroom, so that they can be remembered visually and always on-hand for further use. Super idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...And this will work for any age group, any subject area. I love such universal ideas. This really goes so well with the common core standards for language arts, too -- probably in every grade leve. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Coni! I try very hard to publish ideas that apply to a spectrum of teachers so your comment made my day. Enjoy the weekend. :) Jodi

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a great idea to have children find and share words in addition to the ones you find together. The tally for actually using the word in his/her writing is just the icing on the cake. You amaze me with how well thought out every aspect of your classroom is.

    What Cricut cartridge did you use for your letters? I really like that font.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea... I teach gifted students and we are always finding new and impressive words to use. I just read you whole 2012 blog and am bursting with ideas for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love this idea! I can see it will complement my Daily 5/CAFE letter "E" for expanding vocabulary! Tell me a little more about the tally chart the kids mark when they use an interesting word in their writing. Where is this chart? Do they keep it w/their writing folder or is it on display in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...