Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TRACK BORROWED/LENT ITEMS {TEACHER TIP #2}



TEACHER TIP of the DAY #2:







When I work with teachers to create Clutter-Free learning environments, I encourage them to purge, sell and donate anything and everything that is not essential to teaching their students. Borrowing from others is a great way to minimize clutter, to save money, and to provide students with a variety of resources.
In order to establish a good reputation as a borrower and to be sure that you don’t lose track of your own valuable items that you lend to others, it’s important to develop an organized system for managing borrowed/lent materials. 
  • Whenever you borrow or lend something be sure to immediately record it.
  • Log in items when they are returned.
  • Keep a running list of book titles that you borrow from the library. I like to keep two different lists. One of my school library and one for the public library. As an alternative you could put a sheet protector into your binder and use it to slide in printed out lists from the library’s system. 

The printable above coordinates with my BLACKLINE DESIGN PRODUCTS  and includes:
-a sheet to track borrowed items
-a sheet to track lent items
-a sheet to track borrowed books
-a sheet to track lent books
-a sheet to track books you’ve checked out of the library
-reminder notes to send to people who have borrowed things from you
-thank you notes to send to people you have borrowed things from
For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guide along with my Teaching Procedures and Routines Workbook. This post is part of:
This item debuted as a Flash Freebie on 7.3.12 and was available from 8:30 a.m. -11:10 p.m. 
Be sure to follow my blog and store so you never miss the Freebie of the Day


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

20 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for the freebie! When I click on the link, it does not take me right to the item. I was able to find it by searching through your store, but I wasn't sure if you wanted it to go directly to it. :) This will help me keep track of items I've borrowed and lent out since I always seem to forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had the same problem and solved it the same way!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know. I just repasted the links so hopefully it's fixed, but the link addresses were correct so I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks for posting so others could see what to do as well. :) Jodi

      Delete
    3. I just downloaded it so the link seems to be working now! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the freebie! I plan on using this since I loan out a lot of items to my co-workers and really don't track them. Who knows how much I have lost over the years.

    Thanks!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope it's helpful. :) Jodi

      Delete
  3. This is a brilliant idea!!! I constantly have other teachers asking to borrow books and then they disappear and I'm such a spaz I don't remember who I loaned them to OR I write it all down on post its and they disappear! This is great! I just made my teacher binder, I'll need to make a divider for this section:) Love it! Thanks for sharing:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Thanks! :-)

    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for another great product, and I am LOVING the flash freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog and just gave you an award! Check it out at http://motivatingmindsstocking.blogspot.com/2012/07/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this freebie! But...I am not able to get it on teacherspayteachers :( Any suggestions for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there was a glitch with the links. I just repasted them. Hopefully it works for you now. :) Jodi

      Delete
  8. Hopefully I don't seem like a creeper- but I listed you for the Versatile Blog Award as well. Thanks for the great inspiration!

    http://themeekmoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of writing down what others borrow all in one spot. Sometimes I feel like such a Scrooge scribbling my name in a book as someone is borrowing it but it's not that I don't trust others- it's just that life gets in the way and sometimes borrowing for a day turns into a week... month... I know because I do it myself!

    *Another tip that I think came from you a while ago to slim down your file was to go digital- I think that is SO important!!! I just wrote a post today about using computers in the classroom if you want to stop by!

    Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank YOU!!! You are really making my life so much easier! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the freebie! I'm sure it will be very useful.
    _Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer! I think the TPT site is down! I keep getting the "spinning wheel of death!" Theses look so useful! I love all of your tips and ideas and was hoping to snag these! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got onto the TPT site and it isn't a freebie anymore. Is there anyway I can still download it? I know it is for the day of, but I am on the West coast, so maybe the time difference?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! It's only 10 pm here... so sad!

    ReplyDelete