Monday, July 2, 2012

SIMPLE DOOR DECOR {Classroom 360}


Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos.

I can’t say enough about how much I love ribbon as a decorative tool. It adds a finishing touch to everything. 
{Also Pictured: Hand Signal Signs for Classroom Management}

It's easy to find in just about every width, color, and pattern.

You can buy it at craft stores and Walmart and fabric stores.

At a low cost. Bonus!

Later this week you’ll see how I used it it define anchor chart spaces. In the past I have added bulletin board border alone to the window on my door and was quite happy with it. This year I decided to mix it up and use ribbon. 

I used the blue, but felt like it needed more color.  So I layered on some orange.

I slept on it and when I looked at it again the next day I felt like it needed a little something more. So I added the black border.
{Also Pictured: Hand Signal Signs for Classroom Management}
There wasn’t anything wrong with the window or it’s natural border. However, this is a great example of how simple (and also cheap and easy) touches can make a big impact on the overall appearance of your classroom.
Always be on the lookout for little ways that you can personalize your classroom and make it something special.

For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guidealong with my Teaching Procedures and Routines Workbook. This post is part of:


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

18 comments:

  1. Your door looks so cute! I love how the window looks bigger with the ribbon and border. How do you attach the ribbon and border to things like the door (anything that you can't staple into)? I had a sticky mess when I took down my decorations this year!

    Thanks!

    Dani
    A Place to Thrive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani,
      The frame around the door is metal so I use magnets. The additional border around that is attached with hot glue which just pops off when you're done...I would test the surface first, but it works for me. :) Jodi

      Delete
  2. This is cute! I will have to try using ribbon to spice up my classroom someday! :) Hawaii's classrooms are different; we don't have enclosed buildings. My doors are always open, weather permitting, and we have no air con in most classrooms. I'm not sure if I have a small bulletin board on my classroom door like at my last school. If so, I may try your idea out on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cher,
      I think I would trade my cute door for an open-doored Hawaiian classroom anyday! Enjoy! :) Jodi

      Delete
  3. Great idea! It is so cool how just a few pieces of ribbon can really make a huge impact. I agree with Dani in that it does make it look bigger! I bet using ribbons for bulletin board borders would take up less space when it comes to storage too. Thanks for the tip!

    Kristy
    http://firstgradebubblesandtails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy,
      You're very welcome. And I agree....less storage is ALWAYS a great thing. :) Jodi

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea! I wish my door had a window! I love ribbon, something about the straight lines and color options. I look forward to reading more.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily,
      I love it for the same reasons. Also, it really personalizes the space as not many teachers use ribbon. Thanks for reading along. :) Jodi

      Delete
  5. what a great idea! I've been meaning to look for ways to dress up my door- especially since my school is about 100years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie,
      I bet your school has some neat architecture at that age! Do you have classroom pictures online? I would love to see them. :) Jodi

      Delete
  6. What a creative idea for the door! Doors can be so tricky to decorate!

    I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award because of your innovative ideas for organizing the classroom!

    Head over to my page to check it out!

    http://newmansthirdgrade.blogspot.com/

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I sewed and hung a valance above my window to make it more homey and inviting.
    Erika
    2B Honey Bunch
    Honey Bunch Blog Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika,
      I bet it looks gorgeous. I wish I could sew. I'm all about a hot glue gun and a stapler. :) Jodi

      Delete
  8. I would also like to know what you use to hang your ribbon on your door. I have many spaces in my room that I wouldn't be able to staple to put it up.
    Thanks! I can't wait to see more of your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori,
      A tiny dot of hot glue goes a long way...esp w/ ribbon b/c it is so light. Magnets are great too. :) Jodi

      Delete
  9. What do you do for a window cover? Or is that not required? In my school district, window coverings are required as part of our emergency plan for lock downs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne,
    In the before pic you can see a rolled up piece of white paper. That was used as a shade in case of lockdown last year, but I found that when we did the drills it wouldn't roll down properly b/ it had that "gift wrap" effect. This year I cut a piece of black fabric to fit the window and hot glued magnets all around it. In the event of a drill/emergency I can just slap it up there in a matter of seconds. Thanks for asking...I think I'll take some pics and blog about it. :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete