Monday, July 16, 2012

PLAN AHEAD FOR BIRTHDAYS {Teacher Tip #10}

{source}
It doesn't matter if you teacher Preschool or Middle School, when a kid's birthday rolls around it's a big deal to them. In most places the days of bringing in cupcakes to share with the class are over with, but it is nice to acknowledge their special day in a small way.


First, decide what you want to do in your classroom to celebrate birthdays. Some ideas include a special song, making that student the helper of the day, or creating a class book. Some teachers pass out crowns, others have stickers, others get by with a smile and a "Happy Birthday."


What you don't want to be doing is scrambling around just as the bell is about to ring because you forget that one of your little cherubs happened to have been born on that day. So my suggestion is to prepare during the summer for a year's worth of birthdays.


If you plan to present each child with a small "gift" you can streamline the process by preparing each student's trinket at the same time.


I think it is best to keep it simple and keep the cost low to you. Kids are thrilled with a birthday homework pass. You can add in a card and a bookmark as a bonus.


Before school starts print, copy and cut out all of the materials. Sign the cards and place each students materials into a paper lunch sack that is still flat. Decorate the outside of the bags with markers or stickers. Label each with a student's name and place them in chronological order. I store all of these in a birthday gift bag {as seen in the photo above}.


When a student's birthday arrives, simply pull out the bag, open it up (so it's no longer flat) and either staple the top or tie it with a ribbon. Good to go!


Today's Flash Freebie is My Birthday Packet. Check out the video below to see all of it's components.


This Birthday Packet is part of my Blackline Design Collection


It can be found individually or as part of my Teacher Organizer Bundle that includes 5 products at a savings of over 50%. Included in the Teacher Organizer Bundle you'll find
The following products are not included in the bundle above, but were designed to coordinate with them:




For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guide. This post is part of:
This item debuted as a Flash Freebie on 7.16.12 & was available from 4:20 p.m. - 8:26 a.m. on 7.17 {Eastern Standard Time}
Be sure to follow my blog and store so you never miss the Freebie of the Day



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

36 comments:

  1. I just went to your TPT page, and it says it is $3.00 still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconding Jennifer's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same as Jennifer and it says $3. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time checking out the Monday freebie and I also saw it was $3.00, am I missing a step?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to see I am not the only one having the same issue. Please let me know what we are missing. Ps. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should be all set now friends. Gotta love conducting business from an iPhone while waiting at the deli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried it and got it to download. I had to create an account and be logged in to TPT before it would let me download it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is working now! Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worked great that time!! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Would you mind telling how your flash freebie time frame works? Is it a certain number of hours from when you post, is it until midnight? I'm loving them all, but missing #9 because I didn't get there fast enough. ;-)

    Thanks,
    Amber
    happyhagys@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having a problem with downloading it. It says 502 Bad Gateway. I tried in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Anyone else having this issue?

    Jaime Odom
    odom.jaime@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am having the downloading problem as well. It says 502 Bad Gateway. Any ideas? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cleared the cache and got it to work. I just googled how to do it with chrome and was pretty easy. Maybe try that??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had no problems...thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no problems...thank you for sharing...cute idea!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Cute and simple. I think I will put one in my plan book and one on the wall!
    Mrs. Cobb's Kinder Sprouts

    ReplyDelete
  17. great idea--I really dislike that rushing around feeling when I don't plan ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just so you know, you are in the number 1 seller spot for the week on TPT!!! I guess Deanna Jump has had that spot for two years straight! I just thought you might not know! =) Congrats!

    Ginger Snaps

    ReplyDelete
  19. Target has silly straws in packs of 3 on clearance for 30 cents right now!! Perfect cheap birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for the freebie! I totally love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for all the great ideas and freebies. I was pretty happy with my 1st grade class, but moving to 6th this coming year has me starting from scratch. Your Blackline Designs are making me so happy, and inspiring me to approach this move with enthusiasm! I even started a teaching blog after years of a personal blog (long ignored!) so I could document some of my changes. Thanks again!
    http://lisele.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. A retired teacher gave me a great birthday idea right before my first year of teaching. Buy lots of new books for your classroom. On the student's birthday, let him pick a book from the "birthday books". Put a plaque in the front saying something like, "This book has been donated to Mrs. M's library in honor of John Smith's birthday on July 16, 2012." Let him take the book home to read with his family and then return it the next day and add it to the class library. My students LOVE this! Not only do they get a special treat, but they get to contribute to the class and many classes to come. I also let them wear a girl/boy birthday ribbon on their birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with streamlining the gifts! I always prepare my gifts for the kids during the summer, and buy everything on sale! I just posted about it - check it out! Thank you for all your tips and freebies!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  24. great idea! For the past year, I've just allowed students to pick out their own birthday gift from a basket full of goodies. That way, they can have a choice- gifts include dollar store trinkets, stationary and sometimes even sweets that I throw into the mix. I find that it creates less of a headache.. for me at least!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you thank you thank you thank you for posting all of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am new to your site & love it. Two years ago I began to prep for birthdays in the summer after I've received my new class list. It is so much easier and more enjoyable when you have more time to prepare. I then put them in order by month. When it's their birthday, I just go to my drawer & pull out the already made certificate and bookmark & leave on their desk for them to see. It's a great way to start their day, especially for students who do not get to open their presents in the morning & have to wait for the everning.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I celebrate birthdays by putting confetti (courtesy of the classroom hole punch) and a silent birthday blower (the kind that unfurls when you blow into it) on the child's desk along with a happy birthday note on the board. I make sure to emphasize the capitalization and punctuation in, "Happy birthday, Sarah!" for the class. It's fun and costs me less than $5 a year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I want you to explain me more about your gifts ideas? also suggest me some more collection which i can use for send gift to Pakistan on Eid.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is very great work for all Pakistani who no live in Pakistan and send to gift in Pakistan, so they use www.giftguru.com.pk and send gift to your lover one , I have use it a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Here are a couple of birthday ideas I have found that I like. I have collection of birthday books (ie. Happy Birthday Moon, Happy Birthday Jessie Bear, Dr. Suess' Happy Birthday to You, etc. I keep the books in a birthday bag and on his/her birthday, each child gets to choose a book for us to read. This is a really easy and quick way to let each child have a special time on their birthday. I also plan time before school is out to celebrate the summer birthdays so they do not feel left out.

    ReplyDelete