Wednesday, July 18, 2012

ORGANIZE YOUR MEETING NOTES {Teacher Tip #12}

Teachers teach.
Teachers inspire.
Teachers touch the future.


And teachers go to meetings.


Lots and lots and lots of meetings.


These meetings all have different purposes. Sometimes you listen. Sometimes you contribute. Sometimes you leave with a list of things to do. Sometimes important information is shared.


Sometimes some not so important information is shared, but you may still need to follow-up or reference those tidbits of info at a later time.


So it is important that you create a system for documenting the meetings and their outcomes.  There are a few ways to do this:



  • You may wish to use a multi-subject notebook and designate each section to a different type of meeting.
  • Some teachers get a journal and write everything sequentially into that one little book and flip back by date to find what they need.
  • Another option is to take your notes on the back of the paper agenda that is passed out, hole punch it, and keep them all in a binder.
Like all methods of organization, it really comes down to what works best for you and your style.

{Click to access and download my Organizing Meeting Notes packet}

Here's what works well for me:
  • I've created printable templates for each of the types of meetings that I need to attend each year. 
  • I made several back to back copies of each and slid those copies into plastic page protectors (with each type of meeting having one designated page protector)...this means I have one page protector labeled "faculty meeting" with 5 two-sided copies inside, I have one page protector labeled "grade-level meeting" with 8 two-sided copies inside, etc. I place these in my teacher binder.
  • During any given meeting I take out the corresponding template, write in the date and any important info (location, special presenters, etc) and use that page to take notes.
  • If there is a "call to action" that must be addressed after the meeting I make note of it in the follow-up column.
  • I keep the most recent page on top and store the others underneath in order.  The reason for doing it this way is that it keeps all related meeting notes together without adding extra pages to flip through in my teacher binder.


{Click to access and download my Organizing Meeting Notes packet}



I have created a resource that includes over 20 templates for organizing meeting notes. It was designed as part of my Blackline Design Collection.  You can access and download it here: {ORGANIZING MEETING NOTES}


What types of meetings do you need to attend at your school? 

For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guide. This post is part of:
This item debuted as a Flash Freebie on 7.18.12 & was available from 7:34 a.m.-5:50 a.m.on 7.19 {Eastern Standard Time}
Be sure to follow my blog and store so you never miss the Freebie of the Day



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

12 comments:

  1. maybe this will help me stay on task too!
    thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Just need to add one for the massive amounts of IEP type meetings that we special educators attend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue,
      I was going to say, "it's in there, "but I see that you found it. :)Jodi

      Delete
  3. Just printed out the freebee - and of course you included a page for IEP meetings!!! You are amazing. Thanks so much for the wonderful summer of ideas and resources!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all you do! You have been my inspiration this summer to get organized to save time during the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how much you have inspired me this summer. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for all the sharing you do!

    Tracey
    Third Grade All Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I LOVE these and hope these will help me stay on task during all the meetings! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are absolutely one of the most generous people I've ever "met"... :) Thank you so much... I pray you receive twice-fold the blessings that you've shared with each of us.

    Thanks, again; I look forward to using these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the flash freebies! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing! I wonder if these will help me to pay attention (LOL)
    Janie
    http://tech4kinders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...