Monday, July 2, 2012

NUMBER YOUR STUDENTS {TEACHER TIP #1}



{click to download this printable}

TEACHER TIP of the DAY #1:
I realize that today’s tip is not an earth shattering idea. Many teachers assign a number to each student already. However, since several of my upcoming tips involve using the students numbers in addition to or in place of their names to aid classroom management, I figured it made sense to include this tip (and printable) to start off my summer of tips and freebies.
Before working in my current district, I taught in an inner-city school with a very transient population of learners. My class list in September always looked different from my class list in June. That was when I started to assign a number to each student. At that time I did so to avoid needing to relabel cubbies, supply boxes, etc whenever a student would leave and a new one would arrive.  There were still plenty of places in the room where their names were displayed, but this certainly made things easier.
My current position has very little turnover during the year, but I still use and LOVE a number system. I assign the numbers based on alphabetical order. I have a display in my classroom that includes each students’ name, number and a photo. This allows for quick reference and is used by both myself and my students. I use the numbers to label the “non-personal” areas in my classroom so that I don’t need to relabel EVERYTHING every summer. I obviously use their names on nametags, lockers, work display boards, etc. but the mundane things get numbers.
I teach the students to “count off” early in the year. The first child says, “1.” The next child says, “2”. This continues until we get to the end of the roster. This allows me to quickly take attendance at fire drills and on field trips without a list.  
Using numbers provides me with my own personal “shorthand” for writing anecdotal notes and for planning small group work. I often write, “work w/ 3, 6, 8 and 19 on subtraction strategy.”
I also like using numbers because it increases confidentiality. Granted these numbers are not top secret code, but I like that my behavior chart doesn’t have students names glaring at you.

This printable includes 3 different sets of circular number cards (#s 1-36). They are part of my Blackline Design Product Collection {which I'm totally in love with btw). Use them to label cubbies, portfolios, binders, etc. They would also be great as calendar pieces or as a sequencing math center.

For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guide along with my Teaching Procedures and Routines Workbook. This post is part of:
This item debuted as a Flash Freebie on 7.1.12 and was available from 4:00-10:07 p.m. 
Be sure to follow my blog and store so you never miss the Freebie of the Day


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

22 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. Love, love the versatility of black.


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE numbering kids! You are right- for field trips & fire drills, it makes management so much easier :) :)

    Thanks so much!

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love numbering the students. The moment that they figure out that it's alphabetical is priceless. It also works great for doing math problems... I'd like the even numbers to line up, the sum of 5+4, etc. It's funny because the kids know each other's number so quickly, but I only get to a few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I like the idea of students calling out their numbers for fire drills and such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the freebie. I number my students & love your blackline designs so this is a match made in heaven :)

    Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great freebie! Just wondering exactly how it would work when you get a new student after another leaves. For instance, if the student who leaves has a last name that starts with A and was number 1, but the new student's last name starts with Z - do you still assign the new student number 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put the new arrival in the old person's "spot" - so yes, the numbering system does tend to get slightly off of alphabetical order. Last year I lost my #1 (last name started with A) and got a new student a month later whose last name started with K. He became #1, and it's fine other than needing to remember that when it came to lunch order (MUST be alphabetical) or entering grades in PowerSchool. Fortunately, my turnover these days tends to be only 1 - 3 kids per year, so it's not too hard. I also wait until the 3rd or 4th day of school to assign numbers, since there's often a bit of shifting the first few days.

      Delete
  7. This is perfect. Thank you! I recently saw an idea on Pinterest where the teacher had the number line on the floor so that the students would stand on their number when lining up. Last year was my first year teaching and I always seemed to have the problem with students getting upset when we lined up because someone would cut in front of them..etc. SO...number students is a great idea and I will put these numbers on the floor, too!

    Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, lovity-love!!! I have used a number system for YEARS, and it's time to "freshen up" some of these items in my classroom. THANK YOU for these, and I can't wait for the next "flash freebie."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great freebie! What do you do when you have a new student? Do you add them to the end? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to "Anonymous" above for how I handle it in my classroom. BTW, I do it that way so that I can use the same set of 24 numbers on cubbies, check-off sheets, etc.

      Delete
  10. Great Idea! I used to use it when I taught second grade about three or four years ago but have decided to take it back up again. Love the black and white numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do this, too- I love it. Makes life SO much easier! One of the best tips is having students put their numbers in the corner of their papers when they turn them in, and then I had two students who would go over and sequence the papers as a classroom job when their work was finished. By the time I went to grade papers, they were almost always already in the order they needed to be in for my gradebook, paperclipped together.

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea with the numbers. I like the attendance solution of counting off- less work on you! :) And, holds students accountable (my favorite!) I agree that numbering things in your room for students helps when you have a very transient population. But, I must add that my district got really weird about student names being displayed. For example, if you had student work up and a student's name was present immediately a parent could see who was doing well and who wasn't and it would be unfair to "exploit" the children soaring or bombing. ugh, so PC these days. But, to be honest, changing to the number system has made it really easy on me so I am going to stick with it! Thanks for the tip :)

    Always A Lesson

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing!! I LOVE these! Thanks so much.

    Heather Haugen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great! Thank you so much for sharing them. :-)

    - Elizabeth
    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use my students' numbers as my weekly helpers as well. Every child gets every job each week. Monday Helpers are always #1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Tuesday-6, 7, 8, 9 10...and so on. I have never had a problem with these kids arguing over who lines up first, who holds the door, etc. because once you do the job for the day - someone else gets it. You will get it again next week. This has worked WONDERS for me - never a problem when someone is absent because there are 4 others to step up and fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I number my students too! I teach military students so our turn over rate is pretty high! I am your newest follower!
    Dani
    Patterson's Porch

    ReplyDelete
  17. I teach middle school and have between 180 and 200 students each day. I LOVE using numbers for students but, other teachers do too and their numbers change throughout the day, depending on the class. I am sooooo excited with this freebie because I am going to create a number line display and then put the students names underneath/near/clipped to (haven't figured out just how yet) their number for each class period. That way, hopefully, they can remember their number for my class. I had been looking for a cute number set to match my black, white, purple, and lime green room! This is PERFECT!!!! Thank you soooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach Middle School, too. I will have around 75 students this year. Are you going to give each period a number like 1-20 and repeat them for each period? (Does that make sense?) OR are you going to number the entire grade 1-75??? I would like to do a better job of displaying student work in my room instead of just in the hallway, and the numbers would be great, but I am struggling with how to number everyone. Thanks for your ideas!

      Delete
  18. This is perfect! I was planning on numbering students this year & you read my mind. Thank you so much!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  19. The last set of numbers has two 15's with no 16. Just thought I would mention that.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...