Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My "CREATE" Board to Showcase Student Projects {Classroom 360}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos. Be sure to check out all the other posts.


When I started to plan my classroom design for the upcoming year I flipped and flopped between doing a classroom theme vs sticking to a color scheme. I've done both in the past and loved each room for different reasons. Over the years my classroom has featured a beach theme, camping theme, western theme, Hollywood theme, detective theme, and a jungle theme

Then I switched to a "color scheme" last year and was quite happy with it.

Because I like change and I love to set up classrooms, I couldn't resist mixing things up.

I loved how the black accents looked with the bright colors in my room and ultimately decided to go with a bright and cheerful scheme.  This was perfect because my goal this year is to really find ways to foster creativity and inspire kids to want to learn instead of just expecting them to do so. 

With the national push for data-driven instruction, it is important to put in extra efforts to make sure that opportunities for creativity and open-ended, project-based learning exist.

To help with my goal, I've designated a board in my classroom specifically for displaying all of those gorgeous, colorful creations that kids design when given some construction paper, paints, glue, and scissors. The work will be changed out regularly, but the hot pink background and the title in the center will remain the same throughout the year. 

It states simply, "Create." It will be a constant reminder of the importance of establishing an environment that values learning "outside the box."

Plus, the darn thing makes me smile everytime I look at it's Crayola-goodness! 

It was super fun to make too.




What is Your #1 Goal for the Year?



Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


29 comments:

  1. Wow! Your "Create" board looks amazing! I have been dying to make one of these for my classroom but didn't have a clue what to use it for! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,
      Thanks for the compliment. I had felt the same way. I really wanted one, but felt like it needed a purpose. So glad yo have found one. :) Jodi

      Delete
  2. My goal this year is to stay organized, which is why I spend so much time here and around trying to get all of your great ideas. I also like making things look pretty once they are organized. You ideas are very helpful. I did not know you could use the pocket chart as wipe-off area. Thank you for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was psyched when I found out it could be used as a dry erase space. Thanks for commenting. :) Jodi

      Delete
  3. My goal for the year is to jump head first into common core. I'm super nervous but excited! With the common core comes a need to be super organized, so I am definitely keeping all your tips in the back of my mind! Love your crayon board, so pretty!

    Mrs.T
    Teaching Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. T.,

      I'm taking on Common Core too. Organization is the key to everything. :) Jodi

      Delete
  4. Very cute! Thinking I need to give this a shot. I have seen it all over Pinterest & have been tempted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      I was tempted ALL last summer. I'm so glad I finally found a purpose for it. :) Jodi

      Delete
  5. This will be perfect for my crayola crayon theme! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tam,
      I can't wait to see your theme come alive! :) Jodi

      Delete
  6. My classrom theme this year is centered around animal print and I think I will do this on a tan canvas, using hues of orange, brown, grey, yellow, and black. Thanks for sharing. This will be the last art decor idea for my room this year...it's all done and now I am organizing files, books, and resources. I love creativity! I am new and highly addicted to your website. I LOVE IT!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh....that will look AWESOME! Please come back and share when it's done! :) Jodi

      Delete
  7. Just want to say - WOW!!!
    I am so going to make this!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asma, Have fun. I had a great time making it with my son. :) Jodi

      Delete
  8. loooks awesome im def trying this ..thanks for th easy steps =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't done this yet, but my guess is that Crayola crayons are a must. I'm thinking the extra waxy kind will look "oily" (ie waxy) rather than bright and colorful. Just a thought.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky,
      That's a great point. I'm a huge Crayola fan so it didn't cross my mind to use anything else, but you're right. :) Jodi

      Delete
  10. My goal is to have more art time in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the kids get so much out of art time! Thanks for commenting DeeDee! :) Jodi

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I may try this with the saying " let your imagination run free with reading." since I am a reading teacher this might look cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this! I'm super excited to hang it in my Kindie classroom!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...