Thursday, July 5, 2012

MEMO /EMERGENCY INFO BOARD MAKEOVER {Classroom 360}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos.


I refer to the area above my phone as “mission control” because it houses important numbers and notes. It is super handy dandy and I reference it all. the. time. 




So I totally feel it is worth the real estate it takes up.
But, I was tired of the same old, same old and decided that Classroom Makeover 2012 was the perfect time to spruce it up.  


also seen in this picture {click each link to learn more about each}:
HAND SIGNALS - classroom management
CLOCK NUMBERS - help students tell time
MATH WORKSHOP BOARD - my favorite way to teach math
SHOOT FOR THE MOON - back to school bulletin board


We have emergency folders in case of lockdown or fire or whatnot.  I keep that in there because I’ll either need to exit through the door if we were evacuating or lock the door if we were hunkering down. Either way I will be near that location in case of emergency. I made a pocket to hold it using a black posterboard.
I also keep a copy of my class list and contact info in that pocket so I can get my hands on them when needed. Our nurse provides us with allergy/medical lists. I put that in there so I’ll know where to go an grab it fast and also because I would be right by the phone. I store my lists facing the wall for confidentiality and specifically don’t label the pocket for that reason as well.
Above that, I sectioned off a space using purple gift wrap in a funky pattern.
I created an area for my dismissal list. It tells me and any subs who come our way how each of my little darlings will be going home on any given day. To keep track of dismissal changes and other random notes I added a snazzy magnetic board (which is really a pizza pan) and a few magnets.  It is so light weight that I was able to hot glue it directly onto the background paper and not damage the wall.




I saved space for the staff extension directory and the fire drill route. It can’t be seen in the photo, but there is also a nail there which is used to hold my keys so I can grab them quickly to lock the door if we were in lockdown. The nail is high enough off that none of my third graders can grab them and go off joyriding in my minivan.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

15 comments:

  1. So cute!! I love how you used the pizza pan! Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas:)
    What I Learned in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great post, I too use hand signals in my classroom (just three - pencil, water & bathroom). I love it! However, I think I might be switching to your 5 this school year - I've never seen it that way before. I'm your newest follower! :)

    Antonia
    forkin 4th

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea about the pizza pan magnetic board. I am definitely stealing that one and as I read the how-to got a bunch of ideas for bulletin boards (and possibly making a magnetic mini board for the kids using whiteboard sticky paper or chalkboard sticky paper). :)

    Super Excited! Love reading your posts!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea!! I know exactly where I would put this in my classroom. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hardly wait to make this in my room! Thanks for the ideas!
    Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you are organized! I love this series!! Thank you for sharing!

    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, seriously, how can one person be so talented?! Now I know where my allotment of creativity went. YOU!!!!!! I just love your blog and all of your reveal series. Please don't skip over a single detail. Come close. (whisper) I zoom in on your pics and totally take notes on organizing tips. There I admitted it. Thanks for taking the time to take all the pics. They are worth 1,000 words.
    Susan at
    www.RodriguezRockStars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pizza pan idea!! I never thought about how light weight it would be. I am definitely doing this in my room!!

    Brittany
    Stickers and Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pizza pan idea and will definitely be stealing that!! The board looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving the freebies and cute ideas. I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I screen shotted this on my phone so I can remember it and re-produce it at school. I LOVE your wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea! I will be using this in my classroom this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good idea. I'm going to create something similar for my emergency info. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. where do you find your colorful small pocket charts??

    ReplyDelete