Tuesday, July 24, 2012

LOG PARENT COMMUNICATION {Teacher Tip #14}








TODAY'S TEACHER TIP & FLASH FREEBIE...


Seven years ago this week I became a mom for the first time.
And it gave me a whole new perspective in the classroom. I think any teacher who has had children will agree. 
Build time into your daily routines to communicate with parents. If you establish a positive relationship with a child’s family by keeping them up to date on his progress and sharing examples of things that have gone well in the classroom, they will be much more receptive to a note addressing a potential issue that has arisen. Parents do not want to only hear from their child’s teacher when something is wrong.
While you can certainly write spontaneous notes home when something awesome happens, positive communication can be organized and systematic.  You just need to develop a system that works well for you.
First, decide which methods of communication are going to be best for you. If you use a daily communication folder then writing a note in there may be best. Emails are also a nice option because you’ll automatically have a copy in your sent mail. 
Plan to write 2-3 notes home per day for positive reasons. It need not be elaborate. Examples:
  • “I can tell Jane has been practicing her math facts at home. Thanks for your continued support.” 
  • “Stephen went out of his way to include a child who was sitting alone today. We’re so proud of him.” 

These are short, sweet, and to the point, but will mean the world to the people on the receiving end. It will communicate that you appreciate their child and recognize the positive choices made. 
If you don’t feel that you have time during the day, an alternative is to write your notes on adhesive mailing labels after school and then stick them into the communication folder in the morning. This method also works well because you can write notes onto the labels throughout the day as they happen or when you reflect on the day in the evening so you don’t need to jog your memory as you check the morning folders.
There are plenty of families who will reach out to you with questions or concerns, but others won’t. Take the time to call home at least once a month to “check in.” Be prepared to share a recent success and then ask if they have any questions or information that would be helpful for you to know. 
I suggest you establish a simple method for tracking your communication so that you are able to provide consistent feedback in an equitable manner. 

I have created a resource that includes 20 templates for documenting communication between school and home. This product was designed as part of my versatile, ink-saving Blackline Design Collection.  It can certainly be used on it's own, but is a great companion to these products:


For more tips and ideas on organizing and managing your classroom please check out my Clutter-Free Guide. This post is part of:
This item debuted as a Flash Freebie on 7.20.12 & was available from 11:04 a.m.-10:28 p.m. {Eastern Standard Time}
Be sure to follow my blog and store so you never miss the Freebie of the Day



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

17 comments:

  1. You are just so right about how becoming a parent yourself gives you have a new insight into the teaching/parenting world. Thanks for sharing these brilliant ideas and templates so we can all step-up in this area...
    ✿ Judy
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Judy. I hope you find them useful. :) Jodi

      Delete
  2. I love this post and information! I cannot believe I hadn't already followed your blog "officially" even though I keep up with your fab ideas! Be well!
    Thanks for sharing!

    Ann Marie Smith @ Innovative Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann Marie,
      I'm so glad you decided to follow along. Take Care. Jodi

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for all of your wonderful freebies and ideas this month! I became a mom last year and admit I just coasted through the teaching year in a fog. This year I'm looking forward to trying to find a better balance! I know it can be done.

    Would you mind if I gave you a little grammar tip? It is kind of a delicate subject and I don't want to offend you, but I would like to help if you're interested.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MamaandMummy...Congrats on the baby. It definitely takes balance, but it can be done. Feel free to email anything you think would be helpful to cfclassroom@gmail.com. Take Care, Jodi

      Delete
  4. I love your posts and flash freebies! You have made teaching so much easier for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      I love feedback like this. It makes me so happy to help others. :) Jodi

      Delete
  5. Hi! I really enjoyed this post and your blog in general! I especially love the idea of writing notes on sticky labels to attach to folders the next day- this is going to be so helpful in my classroom. I am a newbie blogger - if you have a minute, check out my blog and let me know what you think! Amber@ TheTeacherLife Oh, p.s. I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber,
      The adhesive labels are such a time saver! :) Jodi

      Delete
  6. I definitely agree with the positive notes. I feel like it's essential for parents to receive positive feedback about their child as well. I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      It is so important, but with all we have to do it sure is easy to let it fall to the back burner. Hope the ideas help. :) Jodi

      Delete
  7. Your blog and TPT items are great! New follower, blogger and teacher. Check me out @ littlemissteacherblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to blogging Little Miss Teacher. :) Jodi

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the freebies....however, I am having difficulty downloading them as "TeachersPayTeachers" is doing scheduled maintenance. Any chance I can still get them later?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda,
    The site was down most of yesterday so I left the freebie up a bit longer. Hope you had a chance to snag it. :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you establish a positive relationship with a child’s family by keeping them up to date on his progress and sharing examples of things that have gone well in the classroom,

    ReplyDelete