Monday, July 16, 2012

How to Save on Travel School Vacation Weeks

Good Morning Friends.

This is a not my daily teacher tip post. That'll come later along with it's Flash Freebie.

But, as I was basking in the glow of having just booked a trip to Florida for February vacation, I felt it my civic duty to pass my bargain-booking strategies along to my fellow teachers. Some of you came along on my virtual vacations last spring so I wanted to share how to go on a real one too.

Because let's face it...who needs some R & R come February more than us?

If you go to the Southwest Airlines website there is a pull down menu in the top corner reading, "travel tools."

When you pull it down, the last link (All Travel Tools) will take to a message that lets you know their current and anticipated booking window. At the time of this post it reads, "We are currently accepting air reservations through March 8, 2013. On August 27, 2012, we will open our schedule for sale through April 12, 2013. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

Historically, on the date of release, the fares for that travel window go live at 6:00 a.m. EST. When they do there are always a few tickets for each flight available at great rates. This is especially useful when you must travel school vacation weeks as the prices get quite high.

If you are able to grab those seats you can travel at a very reasonable cost. Last year I booked our February vacation for $125.00 each way at 6:00 a.m. By noon those same flights were selling for $488.00 per person EACH way.

Since I started using this method to book our flights we've been able to travel both of our school vacation weeks for less than it used to cost us to go for one week. I simply check to see when the dates for travel will become available, set my iPhone to remind me to log on and grab the seats quick.

I will say I love the flexibility of flying Southwest. I like knowing that if we can't make the flight for whatever reason we get our full fare in a credit. This came in very handy when I forgot to go to the airport last winter. Do you all remember that? Not my most proud moment.

Anyhow, happy travels.




Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! Airfare has gotten so dang expensive, so this is great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to know! Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome tip! We are planning to go away over winter break this year for the first time, can't wait!! Thanks for sharing!


    Teaching and Tech

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any little help with airfare is a big help! Thanks!Perfect timing for planning our Easter trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! My husband is interning with Southwest this summer :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article - also to include www.mytab.co - travel gift card where you can save travel cash and shout 'put it on myTab' so friends & family chip in towards your trip. Then use the funds in our website to book your trip. We're the only ones doing what we do - gifting and/or saving for travel. Thousands of customers are loving us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article - also to include www.mytab.co - travel gift card where you can save travel cash and shout 'put it on myTab' so friends & family chip in towards your trip. Then use the funds in our website to book your trip. We're the only ones doing what we do - gifting and/or saving for travel. Thousands of customers are loving us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I admit that I'm one of those people that want to save some money during
    school trips. And this article just give me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can save my money by getting cheap flights to pakistan otherwise expensive fare can distort your budget.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...