Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DESIGNATED CHART SPACES {Classroom 360 Tour}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that while I love making anchor charts with my students AND while I find that they reference them all the time, I don't always know where to put them. 

Because real estate is at a premium in any classroom and spots are often already spoken for, I found that the charts frequently ended up getting hung wherever there was space available at the time they were made.

This was problematic for a couple of reasons:


  • It made the room feel messy and unplanned {which is a big no-no}.
  • The students didn't always know where to look to find what they knew existed.
  • There wasn't a rhyme or reason to where they were placed. It was possible to have a science chart taped up on the back of a door and a weekly word sort hanging out under the math workshop board.
I solved that problem for the for the coming school year, by adding designated anchor chart display areas within my classroom.
There are several of them. The picture below shows just one area.
Because I may not always have something to display and didn’t want gaping holes in random spots, I strived to create a space that looked purposeful.
  • I hung fabric and a border.
  • I sectioned off space for the chart paper.
  • And then I added more border (in the form of ribbons) to further define the space and leave it looking like something belonged there.

Here’s the part that I’m tooting my own horn and high-fiving myself about...
In each of the designated anchor chart spaces I hot glued a pinch-style clothespin to the background fabric. That way all I need to do is pop the charts right into them. If I want to pull it down to reference during a small group or move it closer to a group working on a related task it will be super easy,
And because you know I am all about the small details that make things extra special, I added a small strip of scrapbook paper that coordinates with my classroom decor.
I will show off my other designated spots as we continue to travel around my classroom over the next few weeks.











Follow my Teacher Store so you don't miss
Flash Freebies or Discounted Debut Items and view my easy-to-navigate online catalog.

Check out CFC's Helpful Series for Teachers: 


24 comments:

  1. So smart yet so simple!!! LOVE all your decorating and organization ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a smart lady!!! Thanks for the tip, one of like a million!!, and have a great afternoon!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice...I have the same color theme as you. I even have the same paper pack (purchased previously to finding the magic world of Pinterest). I am having a total makeover in my room. Obsessed, in a word. Thanks for the good ideas and printables. I made a special trip into school on a Friday night to print the numbers... Flash freebie... Couldn't risk missing it :-) just did a darling birthday board today. I hung ribbons in green, turquoise,black and white, and rick rack... So cute. I found paper confetti circles in varying sizes and designs at the party store. Made a cute bordered sign... HEAVEN. I will make the anchor chartnspot right next to it, as it's right behind my guided reading table. Keep up the good work and I will keep being inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Where do you put the charts when you make new ones?
    ~April
    The Idea Backpack
    ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

    I'm only allowed to hang things on the bulletin boards--and they get flipped over for use by the Sunday school. As a result, everything must stay flat on both sides of the boards. Last year, I used a rolling laundry rod for my pocket charts. This year, I'd like to designate specific spots for other things, too. (I've been hanging things from the bottom of boards, tacking stuff to the doors, and removing all of it every Friday in prep for the weekend.)

    I wish you could visit my classroom space; you would love the challenge, lol! :-)
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this idea (and love the clothespins too!). Thanks for sharing all your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clothespins are a genius idea. I don't have much BB space in my classroom so you've given me a lot to think about! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I'm going to have to steal it :) I'm wondering if I can recreate this somehow on our awful cinderblock walls because we don't have much bb space!

    Abby
    Ms. Alley's Class

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry--Did not mean to delete. I have the same question as April. Thanks for all your great ideas.

      Delete
  10. I love this!! Totally brilliant and so much better for the students!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is a terrific idea. My mind is already starting to plan mine. Thanks!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  12. FABULOUS idea!!! I am definitely going to get in on the clothes pin craze. Fantastic!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I just love this!! I am definitely going to do this!! I seem to just hang mine up anywhere I can find space. I love that the kids will always know where to look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love! How many designated areas do you have in your room?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You seriously have this down to a science! Love reading these posts each day! Thank you!!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  16. We must be sisters from another mother! I just did this in my classroom this past weekend. I love the idea of the clothes pin. I added a color background to each of my anchor chart "stations" that coordinate with the subject (red for reading, blue for math...)which highlights the anchor chart, but I love your ribbon idea too! You are an inspiration to me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really inspired by the ideas in your blog. The videos about managing math materials is excellent and will help me (and my students) be more organized. The clothespin idea is just perfect for my classroom needs - NMS - not much space. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! I was also struggling with how to strategically place anchor charts rather than seeing a sea of paper. But I hadn't specified a plan yet, so your pictures have inspired me tremendously!!

    Grade Three is the Place for Me

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering how you put up your fabric. Do you staple? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your clothespin idea AND the designated chart space ideas. I'm setting up a new classroom and I'm already thinking of how I could borrow some of your ideas to use in my new room. Do you have separate chart areas around your room for different content areas?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovin it:-)

    How many spots to you make for anchor charts?

    Deana
    firstgradechatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. It seems so simple but I have to say that this is absolutely my favorite idea that I have found a llll summer! Goodness gracious thanks a million!

    Hope
    teahingwhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am loving this! And finally did this project in my own room. You are so clever.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...