Thursday, July 26, 2012

CUTE, COLORFUL, EASY, & FREE NAMEPLATES


Last week we hosted a party in honor of my son’s 7th birthday.
He picked an “art theme.” Be still my heart.
We passed out gift bag invitations that included a few things they would need for the party.  The nametags were created using paint samples. I just folded them in half and stapled on each child’s name.
This got me thinking.
Folded paint samples would make super easy and yet colorful, kid-friendly nametags for the first day of school.  



I love that they create a “tent” so you could put the name on both sides so it would be seen from either direction.
As a general rule I am not a fan of having anything on the desks that invite distraction so I wouldn’t use these all the time, but for those first few days they are perfect.
Here’s why.
I like to sit my students near a known friend on the first day. It really helps them to feel more comfortable when anxiety may be high.  
But...
I know better than to sit them together permanently. We always start school on a Wednesday. So on each of those mornings (Wed, Thurs, Fri), I play around with some seating arrangements. I try kids out next to each other and tweak the arrangement as I get to know them. By Monday I have selected their permanent seats and we hit the ground running. 
These tags will be great for that purpose and after Monday I will put them in with my emergency sub plans...because it is important to do everything you can to make a sub’s day run smoothly.
Are you looking for cute deskplates that are more permanent? I have them available in each of my classroom theme kits to match your theme as well as all of my color scheme packs and my quickly-growing-in-popularity, versatile, money-saving, ink-saving Blackline Design Classroom Decor Bundle. I have been adding so many of the components from this packet into my own classroom. I really like how the black anchors all of the bright colors in my room this year.

{access & download this product}
{access & download this product}
{access & download this product}
{access & download this product}

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

12 comments:

  1. I seem to be the only one who has a problem with taking paint samples from a paint store to use for a purpose other than deciding on paint color. I owned and ran my own business for 14 years, and each and every customer convenience costs that business money. Were they donated by the store to a teacher or a school? That's one thing. Simply taking paint samples for an alternate purpose is not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,

      If this is something you want to do now or in the future I would call around to stores in your area. Ask them if they are willing to donate the samples, or even ask them to save the samples for paints they no longer sell. Business owners with kids in your school are especially willing to donate!

      Delete
    2. Christine, I totally understand where you are coming from. ;) I have only had the opportunity of collecting some of these at Walmart 1 time. I asked first, explaining I wanted them for bookmarks, and the paint man told me that I could take up to 20. I felt guilty after that and haven't collected any since. I think if teachers are willing to "ask" first and explain what they would like to use them for, most companies are willing to part with a few...until they catch on how many teachers want them. ;)

      Delete
    3. {copied from my reply to your comment on Facebook in case others don't see that} I have always called ahead when I needed anything for a project and asked to speak to the GM (HomeDepot). I've been given more paint samples than I could need, cans of "oops" paint, carpet remnants that I've used in my classroom as area rugs, those rectangle carpet samples to use as designated floor spots (when I taught K), PVC pipe to make whisper phones, cut shower board to use as dry erase boards, and so many other things. A coworker's hubby was the GM at a different HD and tipped me off that the company is VERY teacher friendly. She has been proven right on many accounts. Give them a call and ask. I don't think you'll have a problem.

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love this idea! Easy way to rearrange seating those first few days and helpful to substitutes as well! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      Don't you love the flexibility of using them to change seats? And they store so easily too. :) Jodi

      Delete
  3. I am in love with your Black Line Master sets! The Decor Bundle has helped me so much this year! Thank you for sharing your ideas and skills with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! I'm so glad you like it! :) Jodi

      Delete
  4. I have to say....these name plates are creative for sure! I love the idea for a "Rainbow" themed classroom. :) They won't "match" my theme, but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your theme? I never get tired of hearing about classroom themes. :) Jodi

      Delete
  5. Jodi,I love this idea! Very colorful and so easy to then change to whatever matches your theme. Thank you (as always) for sharing your great ideas! Thank you also for your well-stated explanation of getting free materials from HD by asking first.
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Idea! We've been painting our house and I have tons of paint samples, trying to find the perfect color for each room...I will be using the paint samples as nameplates, so they are not wasted! I was also going to use them for writing activities, using the paint color names to be more descriptive (instead of brown, use warm nutmeg) Thank you for sharing all of your ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...