Wednesday, July 11, 2012

CREATING DISPLAY AREAS {Classroom 360 Tour}}

Classroom 360 is a complete tour of my classroom as designed for the 2012-2013 school year. Each post highlights an aspect of my room with photos, a detailed explanation of it's purpose, and often times videos.



I had just about finished this wall, but I felt like something was missing. 
My classroom has amazingly high ceilings which is great because it makes the room brighter and the room feels bigger than it actually is. The downside is that it feels like a lot of wasted space and often looks “barren” at the top as opposed to the rest of the room. Since it is high, I don’t want to place resources that need to be accessed by the students in that space. I think those should be at their eye level. 
So as a simple solution to the problems of wasted space, not enough display areas, and wanting to make the classroom feel personalized, I created a backdrop for somethings that I’ll leave up all year long once the kids arrive. 

My plan is to snap a candid shot of each student within the first few weeks and print it in black and white onto 8.5 x 11 inch paper with their names on it. This will provide a resource for students to spell their classmates names (since I tend to use numbers on most things) AND will look gorgeous on the black backdrop. I had done something similar for Open House a few years ago and loved the look of the candid black and whites.  Another thought is that I may have them watercolor a self-portrait (I always include that in my back-to-school plans) and hang those in that space. Time will tell.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

29 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using all the wasted space in the classroom as a display area. How do you hang the poster board on the wall and get it to stay for the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. command strips!

      Delete
    2. I use removable weather stripping caulk. It holds all of your posters all year and the caulk peels easily off the walls and posters when you close up for the summer. Just make sure that you have laminated posters and that you use the removable kind. You can get it at lowes! Works so well!!

      Delete
    3. I have never heard of using weather stripping caulk to hold up posters. I may need to give that a try!

      Delete
  2. Cute idea! I really want to do that in my class. Our school got painted last year, and we cannot put tape on the walls. What would be the best adhesive to use on walls that will not damage them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot glue from a hot glue gun. Comes right off at the end of the year and won't damage paint.

      Delete
    2. Do you know if hot glue sticks to paneling as well on walls? I'm in a temporary (T-) building? Thanks! And, everyone, Michael's had a coupon for decorated duct tape in their newspaper ad today!

      Delete
  3. I love your ideas! So simple yet so effective! I could use some more followers if you wouldn't mind...trying to get some feedback for my first year of teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My room has high ceilings too. This will be a great addition. Are you putting up student work on this display area? Love all your design tips because I'm a visual person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! What a great way to fill that space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea. How did you attach the poster boards to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have REALLY high ceilings so I love this idea!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely looks much better! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I HAVE to do this!! You and I have the same kind of wall space with high ceilings--this would be perfect! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea! So creative. Side question- what are you using on that book shelf in the bottom of the picture to make the colorful backing? Contact paper?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your idea! I've always used the higher space, but never backed with posterboard and duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you change out the work you display there? I'd have to have the custodian bring me a ladder each time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea!! Does the black posterboard fade? My classroom get a lot of sun. I made so much stuff last year that I have to re-make because it faded so much :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great use of space! I love your blog! I always find something useful and interesting everytime I come here!

    I've got a new blog I've just started! I'd love some new followers - if you don't mind taking a peek! Thanks! http://beyondthegradebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this as well! Need your wisdom: why did you use posterboard versus black bulletin board paper or black sheets onto another item?

    Do you think it would work to put up big sheets of foam insulation & cover with sheets for bulletin board or is this posterboard just a short cut to not have to use a bulletin board?

    love your look & not trying to second guess you at all, just backtracking a bit on my plans....thanks tons for the shares!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! I also have a ton of wall space that could use some sprucing up :)
    TeachPrayLove

    ReplyDelete
  17. So amazing. I have space above & below my white board that this would be perfect for! And don't you love the colored duct tape? I use it all over the place now!

    Thanks for sharing! :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are only allowed to use mah/velous tape. It does stay up all year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of any extra space for displays, but unfortunately our ceilings are not as high as yours, and the fire marshal frowns upon putting things on the wall too close to the ceiling.

    I can't wait to try command strips and hot glue - these sound like great alternatives to nails/tacks/staples

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is your poster board laminated?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to see it with your kids work displayed. I love the black, but not sure how I'd like it with papers on it. Hee hee! Can you post a pic?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I"m so disappointed that clutter free classroom encourages us to look at her page. We take our time to look....but she doesn't make time to answer our questions. I"ve asked several questions & made comments on several of the posts....seems to have no regard for us. I've basically stopped looking.

    ReplyDelete