Monday, June 4, 2012

Thoughtful Acts of Kindness

Today was not my birthday.

It was not the day before winter break.

It was not the last day of school.

It was not Teacher Appreciation Week.

It was simply a Monday...and yet I received an unexpected gift.


One of my third grade boys presented me with a box of Crystal Lite.

And it made me feel so very happy.

Because for the past couple weeks I've been drinking Crystal Lite lemonade in class.  Someone asked me if it was my favorite the other day.  I replied, "No. The fruit punch is my favorite, but they never seem to have it at the store."

The fact that this little boy listened, thought of me at the store and cared enough to bring it in is so special to me.

It made my entire day.  I literally smiled every time I thought about it.

And that made me think about how important it is to find ways to make others' days as well.

This time of year is crayzy-busy-hectic for us teacher folk.

Take a moment to do something nice for a teacher friend. It need not be complicated. A simple note left on a desk would be a happy surprise. A can of diet coke with a card saying, "though you could use a little caffeine to get you through the next few days."  A bookmark with a reminder that summer is coming and she will soon have time to relax and read. A jar filled with a favorite candy and a note reading, "in case of emergency, break glass."

I thought these two pins were lovely. The first looks adorable, but would be easy.  The latter is simply a cupcake dropped into a jar and tied with a spoon which makes it look way fancy. I would love to find either of these on my desk unexpectedly.


{source}

{source}


One of the girls I work with often makes a pitcher of iced coffee for staff breakfasts. I think it's such a great idea. Wouldn't it be nice to bring in a pitcher of iced coffee of sweet tea and leave it in the teacher's room as a pick-me-up to recharge before a long afternoon of end-of-year tasks?
Another easy-peasy nicey-nicey would be to buy a cheap bouquet of grocery store cut flowers and place one flower in a cup of water on each coworkers desk.

Make it extra fun by signing the notes from "a secret friend."



Has anyone ever done anything at school that totally made your day?
Can you think of a small gesture to surprise your teacher pals?

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

15 comments:

  1. I would love to be surprised with a cupcake or anything chocolate, that would definitely make my day

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea! I will have to remember that for next year :)

    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your ideas! We started summer school today...the cupcake in a jar would be a great little treat to end the first week of school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Crystal Light story! How sweet!

    Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that so sweet when our students go out of their way to do something special for us?! That is a great story!! Love your ideas especially the cupcake in a jar. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! As much as I'm looking forward to summer, today I realized how much I'm going to miss all the random hugs & unexpected random acts of kindness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet student. These are the moments that make your heart smile, right?

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I leave chocolate bars in my coworkers mailboxes without telling them who it's from. It's fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making something "sweet" as I type this! I'll be posting it later this week on my blog- stop by :)

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet kiddo! I need to get better at surprising my coworkers with random acts of kindness. I knew my former teaching partner very well, so it was so easy to surprise her. I need to put forth the extra effort with my new coworkers!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a student bring me batteries when I complained about my timer not working right for rocket math. It would time fine it just wouldn't ring when time was up si commented the battery must be low. So I was presented with a variety if battery sizes. It's the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my students brought me in an apple breakfast pastry after I had sheepishly admitted to my kiddos that I never eat breakfast before school-totally made me smile!

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love treats in my box. My coworker friend brings me a donut every Friday...

    And, I have to say that the pic of the red velvet in a jar is originally from my friends, blog, Cakies...I was excited to see her here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are definitely loved, aren't you? :) Such a cute story!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our team leader brought us DD coffee randomly throuught the school year. It was s fun!

    That littLe guy will make a great husband one day! :0)

    ReplyDelete