Sunday, June 3, 2012

Shake Your Pom Pom, Shake Your Pom Pom

Do y'all remember this photo?

I posted it last year on the blog and pinned it as a "classroom I want to live in."
{btw...do you follow me on Pinterest?  You should. Just sayin'}


Is it not just a super happy place?  Don't you want to work in there? Swoon.


Over the next few weeks I'll be getting my room ready for the fall with the help of my current 3rd grade friends. It's become my tradition and is really special to the kids. They know that the 4th graders prepared our current room for them and they look forward to this rite of passage.


I don't want to take away from instructional time to have them doing odd jobs so I make tasks available during snack, recess and before school. Since we have a full week of rain in the forecast, I am thinking indoor recess will be a wonderful opportunity to teach them how to make tissue pom poms.




They are like little puffs of happiness.


And super easy to make.


And way cheap too.


And you can pick colors to match every color scheme.


Here's a link to my girl Martha's site with a tutorial on how to whip them up.  Of course Martha tells you to use floral wire because that's the way Martha rolls. But, since you most likely don't have floral wire lying around I suggest you use pipe cleaners.
{Martha's link for DIY tissue paper pom poms}
 I'll of course be back to post my very own poms from the "indoor recess child labor pom making sweatshop"...um, I mean, the "creative, artistic indoor recess activity." :P

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

20 comments:

  1. AHHHHHH I want that classroom too!! Are you going to make the pennants too?!

    PS I'm having a giveaway and would love to have you join!
    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send your kiddos my way once they learn how to make them! Such a simple craft but it makes a HUGE difference in the classroom! I think you've inspired me to create some for next year!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks for posting the tutorial! This is already on my to do list for my classroom next year!! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have plans to make my own too! Anyone have a source for the paper that isn't an arm and a leg?


    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dollar Tree has lots of colors. I picked up some cool colors from Target for $1.49.

      Delete
  5. Can I pin this for TBA? Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely...thanks for asking. Feel free to pin anything from the site.

      Delete
  6. I made some for my room last year and had them hanging above my silent reading area-the kids were in awe!

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pom poms are cool! I wish my school allowed me to hang things from the ceiling :(

    Tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can also use plain old thread instead of floral wire! Then you don't have to figure out how to get it hanging up. After tying the middle up, leave some extra thread to hang it straight to the ceiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo...those will look like polka dots hanging from my ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some white ones hanging in my classroom, and I made a ton of pink ones for my daughter's room and hung them in a big cluster! Love tissue pom poms!

    Katie
    Queen of the First Grade Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog and I'm even more excited to read it now because I just got my first teaching job for next year! I can finally put into practice all the wonderful things I'm reading!! Thanks so much for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look of this classroom! I'm going to be making some of those pom poms for sure!

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow,i like the look of classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have so many great ideas and your blog is great! I’m choosing you as a One Lovely Blog Winner! Have a great summer!
    Check it out here: http://fcsandthensome.blogspot.com/2012/06/more-lovely-blogs.html
    ~Sarah Burk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have those pompoms in my classroom and everyone who is new to our building always peaks in to see the 'room with the pompoms'! Word got around! lol

    ✿Valerie
    All Students Can SHINE

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...