Thursday, June 28, 2012


And I am not changing one stinking thing about it for this year. Now that I think about it, aside from my curtains and hand signals this is the only thing that didn’t get made over, spruced up or enhanced.

{purchase/download here}

I had posted about it last summer when I first created it, but felt it was definitely worth writing about again now that I have a full year of daily use under my belt. 
I have created many things over the years, but this is honestly one of my absolute favorites. It has truly changed my math instruction in the most positive of ways and has allowed my to teach the mandated curriculum in a manner that allows me to differentiate for all my learners. 

{purchase/download here}

There were occasional days when assemblies or other schedule changes caused me to not use the workshop.  When that happened there were actual moans and groans from the kids. They loved it as much as I did.  Here’s why it makes me so happy:
  • Short doses of everything. I’m sure you will all agree that attention spans as a whole are dwindling each year. By teaching math in small groups and in small chunks of time the students were all actively engaged and attentive throughout the entire math block. Each section held their attention and wrapped up before they became off task or disinterested. 
  • I was able to spend a great deal of time with each student 1:1 or in a small group which allowed me to really know them as mathematicians. I not only knew what their strengths and weaknesses were, but the format allowed me to effectively address them.
  • Each child had ample opportunity to talk about math. When instruction is delivered as a whole group you’ll find the same students volunteer to answer questions. Small group instruction and 1:1 meetings require a great deal of math discussion. Talking through their ideas and listening to others is crucial. It’s too easy to “drift” in whole group situations. My workshop routines created situations where students were constantly engaged in conversations about math and the students were constantly learning from each other.
  • It’s a routine. I love routines. The students knew what to expect when. They quickly became independent and the workshop was self-running.  This allowed for much more time on task learning and collaboration.
{purchase/download here}

I love the look of the board. It’s organized and meaningful. 
This version is available in my store and is currently one of my best selling products. You can purchase it here as an instant download. I’m currently working on another version that goes with my Blackline Design Product Line {saves money and creates custom color themes} without the cutesy clipart for teachers who want a different look. I’m hoping to have it uploaded to my store within the next day or two. 

{purchase/download here}
I have so much more to say about my Math Workshop and am working on a new blog series to further discuss how I plan each day, organize materials, adapt the mandated curriculum to fit this routine, and also how I get it going at the start of the year. I’ve created a video to “talk you through” the board. You can view it here or at the top of this post. 

 Feel free to leave your questions in the comments so I can address them in my upcoming Math Workshop series. In the meantime be sure to visit my original post from last summer that details how I use this system in my room.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...