Monday, May 14, 2012

An Oldie, But a Goodie

I kicked it old school today with my E-Z Grader. I noticed it had a price tag on it from "Miller's School Supply" which means I bought in in Florida my first year of teaching many moons ago. I don't often use numerical grades. But when I need to I LOVE this thing. My kids asked me about it today. They were so intrigued by this non-electronic tool. They asked if they could "play" with it. So I let them. And then 2 boys decided to figure out how it worked. And through doing so they taught themselves about percentages and tested their ideas by trying different numbers. It was a nice reminder of how important hands-on exploration is. Do you have a trusty old tool or resource you always find yourself going back to?

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

15 comments:

  1. I used my EZ-Grader today while grade my papers in the car rider room! I never go anywhere without that thing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word I have one of these and forgot about it. I have something similar in a octagon shape that spins to help you with key words to drive lessons go higher level thinking that I use quite often.

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com
    PS I'm having my very first linky and would love for you to join!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that brought back memories! I too have the exact same one(or two!) I used it in Middle School all the time but now in elem. we don't do "grades". I'm hangin' onto it just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! I remember my fifth grade teacher pulling out that thing. Wow- total flast back. I'm sure it is great for intermediate teachers. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Lyndsey
    A Year of Many Firsts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that exact one that someone gave me! Who knows how old it is!


    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small, small world! My EZ Grader is also from Miller's! I'm a Central Florida teacher as well. I had to stay away from that store...it was hazardous to my wallet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's funny is I have that exact same one and I mean EXACT! From Miller's School Supply and everything, haha. Love the ladies at Miller's!

    www.teachingwithatouchoftwang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use an app for mine now- my kids think it is a treat when I pull it up and project it on my document camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My original EZ grader just gave up the ghost and fell apart. I bought it in 1980 while student teaching. I took a few years off with my youngest children, am back teaching and just bought a new one! It is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use mine all the time too! I have an app that does the same thing, but I like my good ole EZ grader. And mine is pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember helping my teachers grade papers with these and I have a circular one in my classroom now. Some things will be around forever! :)

    Josh
    Mr. B's Beach Brains

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious that the kids found it fascinating!! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the exact same one... somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use mine all the time! I often let kids sit beside me and I call out how many a student misses and they tell me the grade. {They don't get to see WHO made that grade..}

    The love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE THIS!!! Use it alllll the time! =)

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...