Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Clipboards in the Classroom

I currently store my clipboards in blue bins from Dollar Tree.  I like them because the sides are taller than a dishpan so they don't topple and it doesn't have as large of a footprint as a milkcrate (which I've also used and didn't hate). It's a perfect size for about 1/3 of a class set which is ideal because I like having them stationed around the room instead of in only one location.  That way when I say, "grab a clipboard and meet me on the rug" there isn't one giant cluster of kids.  The only downside is that bins from the Dollar Tree that get daily use don't hold up.  So I did some poking around to see if there were better ideas out there.

I don't know if they are better, but there are some cute options.  And since I have "clipboards on the brain" today, I wanted to share some pictures and ideas.  If you don't have a class set of clipboards I recommend investing.  They are usually available at the Dollar Store so it isn't a huge cost, but they are so handy to have for floor work, computer research, centers to go, etc.


I adore this bucket-o-boards. As a type-A, OCD freak I almost welcome the chaos of clipboards being dropped in all random-like because I wouldn't have that pressing urge to straighten them up all the time.

{photo source}



Here's a super cute twist on the above bucket...chalkboard paint.  I'm starting to think my classroom needs some chalkboard paint.
{photo source}


These are the same bins that I use...however, mine are blue and have these labels on them.
{photo source}
I did hang my boards like this one year using push pins.  Overall, it wasn't a total fail, but the pins did start to fall out and once they did they were hard to keep in.  The wall looked like swiss cheese when all was said and done.
{photo source}


Hooks on the side of the desk are all kinds of handy-dandy.  Depending on the style of your desks, you may even be able to clip the board directly onto the support bar.
{photo source}


While we are talking about clipboards, I thought I would mention what a great gift they can make for coworkers, volunteers, aides or even students. They are fun and easy to decorate and you could easily transform a regular old cheap clipboard into something fancy and fabulous for next to nothing. What a nice end-of-the-year gift for students.  Pair it with a pencil and it will be a great way to encourage student writing over the summer.


{photo source}
{photo source}
Speaking of cute gifts...who wouldn't LOVE these cute post-it clipboards made with a coaster, scrapbook paper and a clip. Easy. Cheap. Lovely.
{photo source}

And last, but not least...decorative clipboards are great to hang on the wall and add paper and notes to or to display student work.
{photo source}

Do you use clipboards in the classroom? 

What do you use them for? 
How do you store them?

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

16 comments:

  1. I do use clipboards in my room. But yours are much cuter. Maybe I'll take my home and spruce them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used a few methods. One that worked nicely last year was numbering the clipboards and the kiddos kept them in their book boxes. Less of a traffic jam, plus, when getting clipboards, they usually needed something in their book box, as well... so one stop shopping. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using clipboards in the classroom. I have some regular sized ones that I fixed up with scrapbook paper and modge podge last summer. I just store them in a bin. Last week I found some small ones at Dollar Tree (like half the size of a regular one). I plan to make them pretty too - I figured they would be good for centers. I'm sure we'll come up with many other uses too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the exact bucket in picture 1, but the round style doesn't work well for 30 clipboards! I recently got 2 square ones (they are all from Target) and it holds them beautifully (and all stacked vertically I might add!) I just need to add some ribbons next year!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a first year teacher I needed so much for my classroom that we were searching far and wide for everything! This is where I bought my clipboards: http://www.bulkofficesupply.com/search.aspx?find=clipboard. I bought the ones with the smaller (flat) clip on it so they fit nicely in a small square basket that I bought at Garden Ridge. The basket is no larger than 10"x10" and is leopard print to match my room. It is quite easy for the students to use because it is located in the writing center. If I needed everyone to have one then I had Table #2 (my students are in pods of four and each are assigned a table number) get a clipboard for everyone at their table. It's worked perfectly all year, but I am loving your ideas on here! I may need a change up for next year, espeically since I want to make my clipboards pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, where did you find your leopard print basket? I have a safari theme and that would be so cute.
      Susan at http://rodriguezrockstars.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  6. Love the idea of buckets. Will look into something this summer on my shopping days. I have even and odd students (each child gets a number at the beginning of the school year...so easy for lining up, etc), so will have even and odd buckets for clipboards.
    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea for teaching even and odd numbers!

      Delete
  7. Can I just say that I love all your ideas? Please don't ever stop posting just the regular, everyday stuff. I suffer from OCD in the classroom and HATED my pile of clipboards. Yet, I use them for so much! I especially used them when I took the learning elsewhere. I have been "accused" on more than one occasion that I am never in my room. I like the idea of spreading them out, because I have given up desks but kept all the clipboards in one location. Now, we won't have a stampede.
    Susan at http://rodriguezrockstars.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use clipboards, with students, all the time. I am blessed with a built in drawer that is deep and wide...all the clipboards fit inside!

    I love all you cute ones, my friend just sent me a super cute clipboard for all my teacher things. Check it out.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use clipboards for whole group work on the carpet & during center time for certain centers. I love how you have the clipboards organized! I'm taking notes!! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for featuring my decorated clipboard!

    My students use clipboards all of the time in our classroom. We do around the room work all of the time, so love their clipboards! Totally should have given my parent volunteers decorated clipboards this year -- definitely next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I am so gonna be like you when I grow up and have a classroom of my own!!! (LOL) Your ideas are amazing. I loved the clipboards on the sides of the desks. Ahhh. To be creative like you, my dream! I also joined your blog and look forward to reading about more ideas this summer. Oh, take a look at my blog for a super easy white board eraser that I am making.
    Linda
    2nd Grade Rising Stars

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a quick comment about chalk board paint. I use the chalk board contact paper sold on Amazon for everything. I cover labels to upcycle plastic containers, I punch small labels for shelves and drawers,I can add a chalkboard label to almost anything. I use chalk or the chalk markers that wash off with water. I love it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use clipboards daily and my kids check their hw each morning on the carpet. Each child gets onewith their number on it so they are responsible for keeping track of their own. They clip them to the sides of their desks so they are always there. Plus that way they can keep thei "work in progress" sheets on the clipboard too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I teach middle school choir and orchestra, and I run into trouble when I try to give quizzes to my choir because we have no desks and I don't WANT desks. I'm planning on purchasing a classroom set of clipboards, and am looking for a way to keep a clipboard stored with each deskless chair. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete