Monday, April 30, 2012

Classroom Walls - Tip 1

If you are just joining us, you'll want to start here or check out my Clutter-Free Guide to Organizing and Managing Your Classroom.



This week we're focusing on your classroom walls. Today I want to talk about covering the walls.  However, I must first post a disclaimer.  Many schools have fire codes.  Know yours.  Personally, I think it's a bit silly that a building filled with graph paper, construction paper, primary-ruled paper, intermediate-ruled paper, drawing paper, etc limits the amount of wall space that can be covered, but I digress.

Covering your walls is a great way to bring the room together and to hide any unsightly chips, yucky colored paint and institution-feeling cinderblock walls.

When it comes to covering classroom walls, I simply must direct you to the fabulous Cara Carroll. Her floor to ceiling displays are so dramatic and appealing. Below is one photo from her blog.  You definitely need to hop on over and see the rest of her room. Gorgeous!

{photo source}
Below are some other pictures for inspiration on how you might cover a large space.





{photo source}


{photo source}

Covering wall space allows you to create displays in different areas.


























{blue word wall photo source}
{map photo source}




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh! That's me! That's me! Thank you so much for showing my classroom! I am the one with the pale blue walls (cheap twin sheets at Wal-Mart) and black border right under Cara Carroll's room!
    Mandy
    http://mandys-tips-4-teachers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use contact paper on my boards. Then I just wash them each year. No paper waste!

    Sue
    theverybusykindergarten :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used both fabric and fadeless paper on my walls over the years (ugly institutional grey underneath!). Right now, I have light blue on the walls and all boards to keep it cohesive. Love the photos!
    -Michele
    New Adventures in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got tired of changing paper on the boards so one year I painted my bulletin boards. I painted them all the same color for visual uniformity. (I chose a lovely blue shade, but you could pick any color.). I love the way my bulletin boards look, even now about six years later.
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw in another post about using all black boxes (for example copy paper boxes)for storage. How do you get them black? Do you paint them or cover them with black contact paper? If you use the contact paper, what store do you find it at?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!
    I was wondering how you get the paper and/or sheets to stick to the walls? I am now in a classroom with an accordian divider walls and would like to cover them/decorate them to make them more visually appealing but don't want to ruin them. I'd appreciate any help!
    Thanks! Good luck this upcoming school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwrM-polkA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being in this process of classroom observation has been an eye opening and rewarding experience for me.

    classroom observation tool

    ReplyDelete