Friday, April 6, 2012

Biography Fun

We had so much fun making these bio poster boards.

As a bonus, the kids learned a ton.
I started by having them complete oodles of activities from my biography packet which acquainted them with a whole bunch of famous folks.

Then I had them work in teams to research Benjamin Franklin. They had discussion about why he was famous. They talked about his accomplishments. Finally, they each wrote about him in the 1st person and performed a monologue as if they were Ben.

To make it oh-so-much-more-fun, I gave them each a poster board to use as a "costume."

I'm now having them each select their own historical figure of choice to repeat the process as an independent project at home.

I seriously loved this project. The kids did too.

They enjoyed walking around wearing their poster boards and singing, "Who flew a kite in a storm and made history...Ben Franklin Square Pants."


They also enjoyed having "conversations" with each other while wearing the poster board.

Kid 1: Hey Ben
Kid 2: Yo Ben
Kid 1: Ben I really liked how you proved lightning was electricity.
Kid 2: Thanks Ben. You know you're awesome right? I mean you signed the Declaration of Independence and all,
Kid 1: I know dude, right? I totally rock!

And then there was the boy who did a stellar job with his presentation...and then ended it by yelling, "Thank you Philadelphia. Ben Franklin has left the building."

Third graders make me laugh.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE MY LIVING BIOGRAPHY PROJECT PACKET

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

1 comment: