Sunday, April 1, 2012

And it's gone!!!


As I watched my blue box disappear from my sight I could hear the TV announcer's post-Superbowl voice in my head...

"Jodi, you just poured your heart, soul, and brains into National Boards...what are you going to do next?"

I know the correct answer should have been an excited, "I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!"

But, I couldn't even answer that question.

I guess technically I am going to Disney World, but that's not for another 2 weeks.

I honestly didn't have a clue what I wanted to do first. It was as if a giant weight had been lifted, shackles had been removed, I had been let out of a cage, I climbed out of the rabbit hole.

I certainly don't want to scare anyone away from taking on the NB experience because it really was an amazing journey of self-discovery, aha moments, reflection and validation. However, my personality made this challenging. I am organized. I manage time well. Those things are definitely important in this process. But, I couldn't bring myself to wrap this puppy up and ship that box until the timer went off. It consumed me. The deeper I got into it, the more complicated it became. The biggest obstacle for me was letting go of each entry and putting the finished copies into an envelope because I kept thinking, "if I read it just one more time I might be able to add just another little piece of evidence" and with that a can of worms would open. It was an obsession.

The 2nd biggest problem was that they don't make it an easy process. The prompts are worded in a manner that have you scratching your head...and then pulling your hair out. I spent the better part of the past few months feeling like a teenage girl who overanalyzes every. single. word. the boy she's crushing on says to her.

"He said this...what do you think he meant?"
"But then he said this...now what do you think?
"I know, but do you think he could have meant this...?"
"But then when he said the other thing I started thinking about the first thing he said so now I think he meant..."

My understanding is they are very carefully worded in cryptic ways to take you on the exact same ride on crazy train that I went on. I'm just hoping that when all was said and done I got off at the right station.

After the box and I parted ways, I loaded up the Family Fun Van (aka the Bad Karma Mobile because once upon a time I mocked people in minivans) and checked the family into a hotel. Don't be jealous. It's not a luxury vacation by any means. We simply drove an hour north to an area where the highlight is outlet shopping, but mama needed some new spring clothes and the kids are happy anywhere they can swim and jump on beds. It was nice to reconnect. We went out to dinner, used the pool, piled onto the bed and ate ice cream right out of a Ben and Jerry's carton, played checkers, and read books.

And now I am oh-so-excited to have time to do so many of the things I've missed and neglected.

I have about 35 DVRed episodes of Nate Berkus to catch up on, spring cleaning to do, and 2 months worth of new products to upload. The NB process really made me love teaching science so I'm about to go all Bill Nye on y'all.

And oh-the blog posts. I have missed blogging. And blog stalking.

Of course I do need to study for the NB test center. I don't even know what that involves at this point, but I don't intend to find out for a few weeks. I'll be on a mental vacation for the next two weeks and then an actual vacation (hello Florida!) the week after that.

So how have you guys been? What have I missed in the world of blogs that I must check out immediately?

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I toy with the idea of NB, sometimes, but I'm just not 100% sold on it at this point. Maybe because I am trying to finish my Masters. Ha. So excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Jodi!
    I've been sending you Good Luck messages even when they didn't make it into the Comments box.
    Now the challenge will be to truly let it go...
    (I think you can be arrested if you try and take it back from the Postal Service!)
    I'm sure your submission was wonderful and that the readers will be WOW-ed by your insights.
    Time to breathe...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You have worked long and hard, and are deserving of some family time, away from the rush of teaching and learning.

    I can hardly wait for some of your science stuff, since that is an area in which I am not strong, and, with the new 'inquiry' based learning is a new adventure for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What an accomplishment! I can't begin to imagine how hard you worked and the relief you must feel! You deserve a vacation and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAy! There is such a sense of relief when you mail that box!!! (and fear...don't forget the fear! lol)
    Jennifer

    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi, Congratulations! I remember how nervous I was handing my box for Take One over to the post office. I stood there at the counter with my notes on how to mail the box. When I was told my name had to be on the outside, I freaked out. "No, no, no! We are only supposed to use our number!" But they said they would not mail a box without a name (in case it might be a bomb). Somehow I got it together and wrote my name down. Which, of course, was fine. But that's how crazy I was! (...and I only did 1/4 of what you did!!!) So the craziness is normal and now you can breathe!!!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine how you feel- I did Take One and was CRAZY! So crazy that I decided to wait to finish it--(I am not comfortable with crazy) :) Good luck with the waiting! You deserve some rest and relaxation!

    Julie
    Light a Fire in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! I achieved last year- and totally relate to the anxiety and relief you're going through! You should be so proud to have completed the portfolios!!!
    Abby
    Msalleysclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I am sure you will get it, you seem like an awesome teacher. I am currently renewing my NBC. I can't wait until April 30th when my box is gone. I love your blog!!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations. Now the trick is to relax and keep your mind off of it. Only two weeks until April vacation...and this week is a short week. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck! I am positive you will have a NB announcement for us very soon :)

    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I just mailed my dear blue box also! NB was such a wonderful learning experience and I'm so glad I did it. I'm totally not a Science person, but I really enjoyed E3! Have you been on ecgen.org? If you have we've probably met up in a few of the chats! Time to prep for AC! Good Luck! :)

    -Bethany
    Learning is a Journey

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...