Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's Not Easy Being Green - EARTH DAY IDEAS





Earth Day - Going Green - Recycling: My town has implemented some new rules to increase recycling and it is trickling into our school which is great. I created a writing packet.

Like all of my other writing packets it includes 15 printable pages to use with your K-5 learners. There are differentiated pages for each web, draft, and final copy which makes the project very easy for you to modify to meet the needs of all your students. I always use a combination of the different pages within my room.

This would tie in nicely with my Lorax Writing Project and Bulletin Board as it relates to protecting our resources.

I'll be using this packet to have my students write a persuasive piece about recycling. It would also be great for informational writing or process writing. Have your students explain how to recycle a specific item (jar, cereal box, etc.)

BULLETIN BOARD IDEAS:
  • Use recyclable materials (such as newspaper or cardboard) as your background and create a border by hot glueing actual items (cans, cereal boxes, paper, milk cartons) around the edge.
  • Take a photo of each student holding a recycling bin and display it with their writing.
  • Take a photo of each student wearing green and display it with their writing. You could either ask them to wear green to school or else purchase a Tshirt from a local craft store and have them put it on for the photo. Use a bright green Tshirt and a piece of dark green butcher paper or a sheet as your background.
  • Better yet...combine the two...have your students wear green and take their picture sitting in the recycling bin.



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

3 comments:

  1. I love these awesome Earth Day ideas! My art students will be super excited to try some of these. Thanks for sharing!

    Shawsha (The Art Teacher Lady)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know if your Lorax unit fell under the copyright category or not. Dr. Seuss is copyrighted....thus, you may not sell anything with Dr. Seuss characters, etc. A couple of teacher sites were recently involved in a lawsuit over Dr. Seuss resources put together by teachers. :( Check out this recent post.

    http://the3amteacher.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-03-20T00:16:00-07:00&max-results=7

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...