Saturday, February 4, 2012

Paperclip Bookmarks



Words are a funny thing.

On their own some are fine.

But, when combined with another word they become a whole new thing.

An undesirable thing.

Take for example these to words:

Indoor:
I LOVE the Great Indoors. While I love me a day at the beach or a walk on a non-wooded, tick-free path, my general rule is that I don't enjoy nature. In fact, a few years back I adopted this song as my personal theme song. It came as a result of being in a new relationship (you know the "I still want to impress him" phase) with a camping-enthusiast and spending a small fortune at LL Bean and REI to look the part of a girl who could hang in the woods but ultimately ended up going on a camping trip that lasted 4 hours. I kid you not. We set up camp. We took down camp. We went home. I admitted to being the "Indoor Type." Point being, I see "indoor" as a positive word.

Recess:
Come on now, who doesn't love recess.

Touche...the people doing recess duty probably don't like recess, but in general recess is also a good word.

Now pair those two words up and what do you get?

"INDOOR RECESS"

Ugh!

I'm always looking for fun ways for my friends to spend indoor recess. It's too short to tackle a game of Battleship or Monopoly. There isn't room to run. There isn't time to take on major crafts.

Needless to say I was thrilled to stumble upon this fabulous idea.


Ribbon tied to paperclips.

They are cheap.

They are easy.

They are cute.

They help practice fine motor skills.

Most importantly, they encourage reading.


Win!

I'm looking forward to making these an option for indoor recess.

Because thanks to the stinking groundhog it looks like we'll have 6 more weeks of it!
{photo source}




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

17 comments:

  1. Love these:) Made them and gave them in gift bags at the beginning of the school year to my teacher friends:) I blogged about it somewhere....Target has huge colored paper clips if you want to do others instead of silver:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award! Happy blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I think teachers should get hazard pay every time we have to do indoor recess. We had multiple days of indoor recess this week and my kids were AWFUL!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. These ribbons look too cute!
    I love how easy they are to make!!

    Thanks
    Margaret
    Kinder Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have recess duty everyday b/c we go out with our own classes and i love it! indoor recess is another story. love the paper clip idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A coworker of mine found kids zumba on YouTube for those indoor recess times. The kids love it. Be careful which ones you watch though. Screen them first, because, well you just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. but I do love your paper clip idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love being outdoors and I'm a pro at removing ticks! However, I love your blog and this great idea...Thanks! My Father's Dragon...great choice to place on top of the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)
    ❤Teri

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the paperclip bookmarks - definitely need to make bunches of these!!
    Another idea for indoor recess is Adventure to Fitness. I stumbled upon the website last week and loved it. I haven't been able to use it yet, but one of my students saw a clip I was showing my TA last week and he said "COOL, that looks fun!". The website is www.adventuretofitness.tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allyson--is this a free site? Thanks for sharing! I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  11. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    - Elizabeth
    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute and easy! Love it. Thanks for the ideas.

    Miss Rorey's Room

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you get the ribbons to stay up? We want to make these, but every time we try, the ribbon just flops down all around the paper clip.

    ReplyDelete