Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Love This Website: Xtramath

While I am all about the kids understanding the concepts behind the math, there comes a time when they need to be fluent. They need to know those facts quickly and accurately.

Have y'all used Mad Minutes?

Gosh, I loathed correcting those.

Plus, my kids are really into The Lorax and think they speak for the trees.

So we're trying to limit the amount of paper we use.

Enter www.xtramath.org. It let's you set up a class list, parents can check it from home, and you can track their progress. The site starts with addition and then moves each student through subtraction, multiplication, and division at their pace.

I use it daily as part of my math workshop and the kiddos access it at home as well. It's quick. It's easy. Best of all it's free.

Check it out and let me know what you think.





Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

9 comments:

  1. I use it in my classroom as well...another blogger wrote about it 3 months ago (that's when I started using it) and I love it. I have my kids go on the moment they come in *during morning work*, and I've noticed a difference in their addition and subtraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for passing it on! Just tried with my own kids at home, and they liked it a lot. I'm getting started with it at school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a unique resource! This program is not only free but free of ADS, and junk and the like! It's run by a non-profit who seem really out to help kids and teachers with just improving math skills! I feel good about sending this one home to parents! And the reports and detailed info tracking will be such a time-saver! Thank you sooo much for this gem!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great site! I love that you can track their progress and they can work on math that they enjoy at home (as well as saving some trees in the process!). Have you heard of Raz Kids? It has the same idea but it is related to reading. I used it last year and you can set up a class, assign reading, and they can read stories to you (that you can listen to later on your computer). It is great for students that have a limited selection of books at home.

    Amy
    The Crazy Adventures of a University Graduate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing. We'll be using it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jodi:
    I love this site (XTRA math), and I love this site (CFC) too!

    What I really love is that I don't like my teacher bag... but I just contacted Gabrielle... so I will soon have a different bag to show in my next CFCC post!

    Wishing you a happy day!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love xtra math! I also use it as a math workshop station :)

    abby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love xtra math, too! I really like that I can see exactly which facts my kiddos need to work on. About once a week, I go through the reports and write 3 or 4 facts for each kid on an index card that they tape to their desk. Then, whenever we have a spare moment, they work on 'their' facts. They really like to see if they can master those the next time they go on the website!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your post. I have started to use it in my class and have already shared it with the staff at my school and many are starting to use it. It is so great the way that they teach the facts. I also use ipods in my class and this site works wonderfully on the ipods. Thank you again for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...