Saturday, January 7, 2012

Whooooo Loves Owls


Is it just me or does anyone else find it comical that owls are trendy? I mean, in reality they aren't exactly the most adorable little critters. I suppose a snowy owl has a level of cuteness to it, but overall eating mice and lurking in the darkness is kind of creepy in my opinion.

And don't get me started on the whole owl pellet thing.

Ewwww!

However, it's the fact that society has deemed pink and purple owls to be cute and trendy combined with the fact that they swallow small rodents and regurgitate their bones that makes them the perfect creatures to focus on for a minilesson or a whole unit.

-a primary brainstorming page to collect ideas
-an intermediate brainstorming page to collect ideas
-a 3 detail web to organize writing
-2 single detail web to organize simple paragraph writing
-primary-ruled draft paper
-intermediate-ruled draft paper
-primary-ruled final product paper
-intermediate-ruled final product paper
-a simple sentence activity page with space to illustrate for our -youngest learners




Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

13 comments:

  1. This looks too cute and oh my gosh that owl with the big ole eyeballs is ADORABLE!!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our 4th grade does the whole birds of prey units and disecting of pellets--I'm so thankful for teaching 3rd grade! I love this unit you created. Did you by chance use a book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends.
    @Lisa: We used Owl Moon as a mentor text for writing and the kids were into owls. I used a few websites and the smartboard to research them with the kids for this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book! Thank you for sharing how you did the lesson. I love the incorporation of reading/writing/art! We teach habitats in the fall with our reading curriculum, but I think I'll give this one a whirl this year so I can see what I need to tweak next year; and then use it as a "starter" to researching animals next year. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owl at Home was my favorite book since I was little and I have always loved owls. Every school year I find an online live owl cam feed to watch with my students. We check in on the owl's everyday (or every couple of days depending on our schedule) and we discuss. I've incorporated literature, writing, etc. The kids LOVE it! They usually name the baby owls and check in on them at home too (I always share the link with my parents). It's a bit shocking the first time they see them feeding, but most of that is at night. Overall they love watching the baby owls grow and eventually flee the next. I've done this with 4th and 5th grade, but I know a 3rd grade teacher who does it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too funny about owls. My last school's mascot was an owl so I got into the whole owl themed stuff then. Then last year I feel like owls just blew up everywhere! Owl key chains, owl bags, you name it they had it with an owl. I even know a co-worker who is doing her baby girl's nursery all in pink owls! Crazy! Anyways I'm putting this on my wish list so I can do this with nocturnal animals in October next year!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this unit! You've inspired me to also join the organization challenge :) Thanks for your years of great ideas...I have a beach themed classroom because of the wonderful one you had a few years ago :) Thanks for the inspiration! :)
    Lisa :) (new follower)
    http://madeintheshadeinsecondgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love owls -- I have one on my blog -- but have said in several posts that I would freak out if a live one came anywhere near me.
    This unit is on my wishlist. It looks right up my alley!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. umm, yes! Obsessed with owls! But only the cartoony cute ones! Not real owls. Anyway, I worked at a school that had an owl mascot. You don't even understand! The teachers were going to kill themselves if their students brought them one more owl trinket and we didn't go a day without at least 4 kids wearing owl shirts. Good thing I like them!

    Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten
    My Fabulous Finds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a heads-up: Your site is on my blogroll for a post called "The Clutter-Free Classroom Project:Week #8 Challenge". This has caused panic for me because I thought I slept through Weeks 2-7 but when I click on it, the link can't be found. Maybe it's just a glitch. If you want to look into it, you know about it now.

    Feel free to delete this comment after reading. :)
    ✪ Liam ✪

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...