Monday, January 30, 2012

Storage Tip #1 GO UNIFORM


If you are new you may want to start here or check out my Clutter-Free Classroom Guide.

The key to looking and feeling organized when it comes to storage is keeping things uniform. Mismatched sizes, colors, and patterns cause visual clutter. They also prevent you from maximizing on the potential of your space.


Congruent containers do not need to cost you a fortune. With a little creativity you can easily design visually appealing and highly functional storage solutions.


Another benefit to filling your space with congruent containers is that you are left with a predetermined amount of space that you are allowed to use. Everything will have a home and it will be easier to manage what you have.


Decide what you have for space and what your needs are. Select one container that will be universal and meet your needs.


Because there will be a need to use some containers of varying sizes. I suggest pulling the look together by enhancing your containers with matching colors and elements. We'll talk about this later in the week.


Consider getting a larger bin to hold the smaller ones. Plastic bags and Pringles cans will fit nicely inside a large canvas tote and will present a uniform appearance.



Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

11 comments:

  1. yes! I just stocked up on uniform boxes from joann's that were on sale!! Uniform makes everything look neater!! (I redid my hallway closet...actually posted about it a little while ago)

    ♥ Jen
    The Teachers' Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I am an uber super freak organizer person and while my classroom is organized...it's NOT. ...well it doesn't really look it anyways and your post just helped me to figure out why.

    Darn! ...I need to go buy new uniform stuff. Any suggestions for good, cheap places to stock up? (besides Jens idea of Joanns which I am totally all over)

    Thanks guys!

    Stacy
    2nd Grade Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, Don't go spending and money yet. I have some posts ready to go this week and next week with tips for getting cheap and free storage containers and how to pull it all together.

      Delete
  3. Stacy...make sure you use your teacher discount card too!!!
    also, my husband said there's a website called organize.com or something...yes, he feeds my organizing addiction.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget about the teacher discount card at Joanns. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the Container Store has a teacher discount too! :)
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the same thing I keep saying. Using the same containers/ baskets/ organizing tools, goes a long way for cleaning things up visually.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made myself switch to all clear bins over the past few years to do this. I love them because you can customize the label to add that pop of color, but they don't stand out too much otherwise. I love reading your blog :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a timely post. The first thing I did today was count the different types of containers I have in my classroom. Lots of variety! Also in the middle of a project using Pringles cans! It's like you read my mind!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utilitarian storage that is lovely. What a great combination! Although I know where everything is in my linen closet, it’s just not that attractive, with a mix of plastic bins and fabric boxes.

    I am a former classroom teacher, now a Professional Organizer and Productivity Consultant. I still teach, just in a different venue. I advise my clients not to buy containers just for the sake of buying and I encourage them to use what they have, whenever possible. I look forward to seeing what you do with found materials.

    I am putting this project on my "beautify" list. Even Professional Organizers can dream…

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am both and educator and a mommy of two wonderful boys. I use my organization in the classroom and easily apply that in my home. I have a playroom for the boys and could never quite figure out why it drove me insane :) Now I know why and will be using this tip :) I am posting a link to this on my blog. Please feel free to check out and follow if you like.

    mommysguiltypleasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete