Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Clutter-Free Classroom Project: Week #5 Challenge STORAGE


If you are just joining us, you'll want to start here or check out my Clutter-Free Guide to Organizing and Managing Your Classroom.
Oh my.

I am downright giddy over this week's topic.

So giddy that there is a chance it just might be stretched out into a two week segment.

Folks, the time time has come

We're going to chat about classroom storage.

Am I the only nerd who drools over the different types of plastic containers, canvas bins, and stackable totes that line the shelves of stores? I could seriously set up camp at the Container Store and be content forever. Well, as long as I had access to a cup of Starbucks as I strolled the aisle.

For those of you who have been following along with the Clutter-Free Classroom PROJECT, I had you...

with the promise of helping you find ways to store your items.

And that is just what I'm going to do.

For the next week (or two) I'm going to be talking all about storage containers. We'll chat about where to get them. I'll inspire you to recycle and upcycle. We're going to think outside the box (no pun intended). We're going to get crafty and organized all at the same time.

As time goes on, I'll be spotlighting specific classroom areas and materials and sharing tips and ideas for storage related to them. For now, we are going to keep it general and open-ended.








Select an area of your classroom that could use some containerizing and do it justice.









  • Spraypaint is your best friend. I HIGHLY suggest black. First of all black is slimming and who doesn't want to look and feel slim? Secondly, it matches EVERYTHING. If you change your classroom theme or color scheme it will still look fantastic. Furthermore, black looks sleek and professional and fancy. Be sure to buy the kind that is made for plastic.
  • Invest in a pad of scrapbook paper that makes you smile. If you don't already have a theme/color scheme then I once again urge you to use a patterns of black/white/grey. You'll be able to easily change things out. I love me some black damask.
  • ModgePodge! Get to know and love it.
  • Keep an ongoing list of your storage needs and possible containers.
  • Ask friends, coworkers and parents for recycled goods. It's amazing how quickly you can collect an abundance of containers with a simple email.
  • Don't buy containers unless you have a specific need for them. This is an area in which I need to "practice what I preach." I am always tempted to buy containers. I've gotten much better at seeking out freebies instead.
  • "Play the teacher card." It is so easy to score freebies by explaining that you are a teacher.
  • If you aren't already subscribing to my blog or TPT Store be sure to do so. This will prevent you from missing any of the tips or freebies. Simply click on the button reading "FOLLOW" at the top of this screen to follow my blog. To follow my store, CLICK HERE and click on the word Follow next to my logo.







On Friday, I'll put up the Linky Party related to the Clutter-Free Classroom PROJECT. The Linky will be ongoing and you can always jump in and link up at anytime. If you don't have a blog you can respond to the prompt in the comment section on Friday's post. Below is this week's prompt. Keep these questions in mind as you take your pictures:

PROMPT FOR FRIDAY:
SHARE YOUR FAVORITE CLASSROOM STORAGE CONTAINER. EXPLAIN WHY YOU LIKE IT AND WHAT YOU USE IT FOR.
classroom organization tips classroom organization ideas classroom organization supplies classroom storage classroom management classroom arrangement classroom organization skills organization ideas for the classroom organization ideas for teachers organization ideas for elementary classrooms decluttering a classroom declutter classroom before pictureskindergarten first grade second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade sixth grade preschool 1st grade 2nd grade 3rd grade 4th grade 5th grade 6th grade time management, professional organizer, ways to get organized, organizing products, helping kids get organized, organizing teachers, the organized classroom, tips for getting organized tips for classroom organization storage manipulatives school supplies classroom storage free storage creative storage solutions

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait! I have some and need more containers. Love the scapbook paper idea!

    JJ
    www.guide2math.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def. have a problem buying bins and containers when I have a pile stacked in a classroom cupboard!

    Kelly
    "Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this! I, too, am addicted to storage containers.

    I missed this week's challenge because I haven't had a chance to reorganize my teacher area yet. So I'll be doing that as well as thinking about storage!

    Kara
    spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited! I want to organize and clean a classroom... only problem, student teaching doesn't start till August. UGH! I have storage containers waiting for my classroom. They are all matching and ready to go! I will need more containers... I have my eye on 4 big ones, 4 buckets, 5 caddys, and a big stacky thingy I don't know how to describe. I have things to go in them... just waiting for them to go on sale.

    Never thought about spray painting the containers. So that is how all those classrooms match! I am even more excited now.

    Misty
    @ Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does one join a link party? Tomorrow, I'm excited to post a picture of my classroom closet on my website! I'd love to link up to this, but I have never done that! Advice?

    Dallas
    www.nerdynerdynerdy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Parmesan cheese containers for a pack of markers. Just the right size, lids that stay on, and clear to see what's inside. Now I'm just looking for a container to put them in.

    ReplyDelete