Thursday, January 12, 2012

Biographies Day 1

We kicked off our biography unit this week.

It's part of our social studies curriculum and technically it is a study of Massachusetts Biographies, but we began learning about the genre with a mini-study of Martin Luther King Jr.

I read several picture books and the students buddy read a free printable reader from A to Z.

We created a top-down web listing information that we learned about MLK.

Then I read The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown, and the students completed an activity I created for my biography packet that was inspired by the book. They used the same format as Brown's book to compose their own version, "The important thing about Martin Luther King Jr. is..."


Finally, each of my friends made a portrait of MLK using the directions from TLC. They came out crazy cute. I hung each of them up even though I'll probably take them down and send them home soon. They were just too adorable not to display.

Today we did another activity (The I Am Poem) from the Biography Packet and a craftivity to go with it. It related so nicely to our autobiography's and the It's OK to be Different projects. I really feel like I am able to get to know my students on a completely different level through these projects. They really open up and share such sweet ideas and insight into who they are. It's been a fun week.

Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

5 comments:

  1. Great ideas for MLK!

    Check out my blog when you get the chance! Would love to have you as a follower!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your biography unit looks great! May have to purchase that one! :) My class just did an MLK art project that turned out so cool - hop on over to my blog and check it out!
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog and I have many of your products, including the Biographies one. I just wonder, how do you fit it all in the week- all your great teaching ideas? Did you do the MLK during Writer's Workshop or social studies, or both? I would love to see a post on how you organize your projects into your time schedule for the week, I seem to never get the scheduling right and need help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's a great idea for a blog post. I'll be sure to write about it. I do typically integrate my social studies and language arts as often as possible. I find that the two lend themselves to overlapping. I hope you enjoy using the biographies packet, -Jodi

      Delete
  4. I purchased the biography packets and am looking forward to using it. I would like a link to the MLK directons, as well. I couldn't seem to find it by googling. Thank you! Your products are terrific! We enjoyed Me on the Map earlier this fall, as well.

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...