Thursday, January 26, 2012

Alternatives to a Teacher Desk


If you are new you may want to start here or check out my Clutter-Free Classroom Guide.


I primarily use my teacher table as my workspace. I love that it is large and allows me to spread out when planning. I also like that it accommodates others so that my partner teacher can sit and plan with me.


I added a table skirt to it for two reasons. First, it dresses it up and adds to the feel of the the classroom. Second, it provides me with hidden storage underneath. I think it is a great alternative to a traditional desk.


Here’s how I stay organized without a desk:


Supplies:

I moved all of my supplies to areas where the students can also access them. The majority of them were duplicates. By that I mean, they had some in the writing area and I had some in a desk drawer. The only exceptions to this rule are my colored Sharpies and my “Big Girl Scissors.” My friends know that those two things are for “teacher hands only.” Everything else is fair game.


Files:

I used to use stacking trays. They functioned very well, but had a footprint. I loved the idea of a file tote that I could easily transport and was thisclosetobuyingone. But then I realized that my current school bag had more than enough room to serve this same purpose. I keep an orange folder inside that is my “inbox and outbox.” I place items that need my attention on the left and shift them to the right when they are completed. I have a red folder for copies. I use a plastic expandable folder (from the Target Dollar Spot) for student work that needs to be corrected.


Between those items and my Teacher Organization Binder, I have everything I need with my at all times.


I keep it under my teacher table.


I bring it with me to the workroom when I need to make copies. Not only are my copy masters handy, but I can grade papers or work on my plans while the machine is running.


I have everything I need at home. I have everything I need at school.


Win-Win!


Be sure to follow my blog and store  and Facebook Page for notification of the FreebiesClick here to access a collection of Teacher Tips or tour my Classroom Makeover here.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a desk, and I love it! I'm not as organized as you, but here is a link to a post with a picture: http://pattonspatch.blogspot.com/2012/01/updated-classroom-photos.html

    Colleen Patton

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first year I decided to go without a teacher desk and I loooove it! The teacher table is plenty for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not nearly as organized as you, but I dumped my desk as well. I have some issues, but I'm making it work. It feels good to not have a place to be locked down to. Check me out www.jwhit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you! I got rid of my teacher desk 4 years ago and haven't looked back once! I am definitely a cheerleader for not having one! At first, it was an adjustment but now I can list so many more positives than negatives. I have even convinced my teammates to get rid of theirs as well!
    You can see pictures of my classroom here: http://lightafire3.blogspot.com/2012/01/classroom-tour.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use material around your desk?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using your teacher bag for files is such a good idea! This is actually my first year WITH a teacher's desk, since I moved classrooms and have way more space now. I definitely have found that I am storing "doubles" of everything and will prob. get rid of it next year to free up some extra space. Thanks for all of your fabulous organizing ideas..I just came across your blog and could be here for awhile:)

    Kelly
    "Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete

You may also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...